FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By steve booth
I grow mine in PH 4 -5.5 but it does go higher occasionally for a few months, the ideal level quoted in wikiHow is 4.9 -5.3.
Cheers
Steve
By Huntsmanshorn
Sorry Jonathan_, bad post placement on my part! My post wasn't directed at you at all but I understand your confusion. I was using the idea that you can grow a vft in quartz sand to help support the notion that perhaps the need for a fairly acid media is not entirely correct, as some people had already suggested in earlier posts in the thread.
By Dan Birch
This post can be deleted. The answer to ph levels was posted below.
Last edited by Dan Birch on Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By RobieOsborne
@steve booth,
steve booth wrote:I grow mine in PH 4 -5.5 but it does go higher occasionally for a few months, the ideal level quoted in wikiHow is 4.9 -5.3.
Cheers
Steve
how do you keep your PH between 4-5.5? i just bought a soil ph meter and its reading 7 for all my plants :/ I also have a separate ph reader for the tray water and thats been reading as high unless i put fresh distilled water in it (which I seem to be doing every day now) to drop it down to 5.8ish
By steve booth
Hi Robbie
I grow the majority of my plants in reasonably high mass bogs outside, so it is a lot easier than in pots. I test in April and add sulphur chips at about an ounce per sq yard to lower the PH per 1 full point. I also add pine chippings and dig them in the top as a dressing, this also adds long term acidity and tannins.
Dont expect the PH to drop straight away as it needs bacteria to work on the sulphur which only work in the warmer weather and dont add too much sulphur as it can go too low!!

Cheers
Steve
Matt, RobieOsborne liked this
By Dan Birch
The answer, at The Green Swamp, is 2.4-2.7 ph for VFT’s. Sarracenia’s were around 3.8.
Matt liked this
By RobieOsborne
steve booth wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:48 pm Hi Robbie
I grow the majority of my plants in reasonably high mass bogs outside, so it is a lot easier than in pots. I test in April and add sulphur chips at about an ounce per sq yard to lower the PH per 1 full point. I also add pine chippings and dig them in the top as a dressing, this also adds long term acidity and tannins.
Dont expect the PH to drop straight away as it needs bacteria to work on the sulphur which only work in the warmer weather and dont add too much sulphur as it can go too low!!

Cheers
Steve
Thank you for your reply steve! I'm having trouble finding sulphur chips/pine chippings that explicitly say theyre safe for carnivorous plants (I've seen some with additives and it's got me nervous about buying this stuff blindly). Can you message me the sulphur chips and pine chippings you use?

Please and thank you :)
By steve booth
Hi Robbie

The suplhur chips are just 'standard elemental suphur as per this sort of purchase https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elixir-Gardens ... 0383&psc=1

Over here we have a number of products that are pure pine bark, retrieved from furniture and woodworking jobs, you can get small 100L bags for mulching that are labelled as pure pine bark or as per this https://www.cpa-horticulture.co.uk/bark ... b953e39a89

Cheers
Steve
RobieOsborne liked this
By uxleumas
steve booth wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:48 pm Hi Robbie

Cheers
Steve
does regular sulfur work? does regular sulfur also act as a fungicide?
By steve booth
Hi Robbie - apologies for the delay, Ive been away.
Rather than me waffling about how it works have a look at the link below which spells it out quite nicely
https://www.canr.msu.edu/uploads/files/ ... Sulfur.pdf

And yes it does work as a fungicide but fairly locally, if you want a more general attack then break it into powder and spread in problem areas.
Cheers
Steve
By Adelae
Dan Birch wrote:The answer, at The Green Swamp, is 2.4-2.7 ph for VFT’s. Sarracenia’s were around 3.8.
That's crazy acidic! Makes me wonder how much of this is them preferring soil that acidic and how much is them just tolerating it well enough to outcompete other plants.
By 1cashew
Actually Adelae these carnivorous plants in their native habitats are just in a few years easily outcompeted by a large number of trees, shrubs and grasses. This is why periodic fires are so important to their ecosystem. Without fire these plants are soon doomed by the wildly diverse overstory.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!