FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By a-priori
I have been attempting to Tissue Culture venus flytraps for a while now and I have had little success. The explants are usually young and healthy and remain green after treatment with disinfectants, however, they only elongate and do not form calli. I have tried the flytrapcare's tissue culture media recommendations (1 mg/ml bap half ms, full vitamin) and Kinetin media recommendations (2.3 uM kinetin) as shown by Gi-Won Jang, et-al. These recommendations resulted in elongation, but failure to produce calli even after 2 plus months. All samples were kept on a 16 hour photoperiod. My questions are as follows:

Should I increase the Kinetin and BAP concentrations to promote calli induction?
Has anyone tried using 2IP for plant tissue culture of flytraps?
How long do you wait before seeing callus induction?

I volunteer in a plant biology lab at BYU-I. We are attempting to create a polyploid venus flytrap that will hopefully produce huge traps.

Cam
By Matt
a-priori wrote:Should I increase the Kinetin and BAP concentrations to promote calli induction?
I wouldn't recommend it. Callus should form on Dionaea tissue even without any hormones. With hormones, it can take a while for the plants to begin growing normally again after they take hold and form a successful culture.
a-priori wrote:Has anyone tried using 2IP for plant tissue culture of flytraps?
Not me. I've never tried it.
a-priori wrote:How long do you wait before seeing callus induction?
Sometimes it happens in 6 to 8 weeks. Sometimes it takes 4 to 6 months. Sometimes it never happens even if you have good tissue and are successful in getting it clean without killing it.
By a-priori
nicszabo wrote:We use C206 media from phytotech to get them going. It has 2IP in it, works great.
awesome. how long does it take for calli to appear?
By a-priori
1cashew wrote:Hey there Cam!
What protocal do you use to produce the 16 hour photo period?
I put the, in the grow room at our university. :D
I don’t know that there is a protocol for this.
I keep them about a foot from the lights, but they don’t need super intense light apparently.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!