FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By joblelo1010
I posted before about re-potting problem, it ended up hearing it's just a dormancy.. and today.. something so terrifying happened..
There was a completely dead brown leaves so I tried to remove them. You know.. so the minerals of dead leave won't get in to the pot, or that's just my way of thinking..
WHEN I DID THAT THE WHOLE PLANT JUST CAME OFF!!
I've seen few new leaves coming out so I though hooray the plant is growing now. AND SUDDENLY TODAY IT'S DEAD?
Plant doesn't even have roots connected, I've just slightly touched it and they just came off. Plleaase help. I just buried some live leaves so it might propagate.. but I don't know it will work.
By Benurmanii
Looking at the old post, I still strongly believe your plant was not in dormancy was was simply drying out. Not sure where you heard that dead leaves will get minerals into the soil, and Mexican Pings don't really care much about minerals.

Can you describe the roots before they came off? To me it just looks like your plant has been constantly drying out due to lack of water, or at least the lack of roots to obtain water (unlike what most people believe, rotting off Mexican Ping roots tends to leaves you with a drying out plant, not a rotting plant).

Also, don't bury the leaves, leave them on the surface. If you bury them, they will probably just collect pathogens and not procude plantlets. I even find with some trickier species that simply touching the pulled end on the soil results in no plantlets.
Benurmanii liked this
By joblelo1010
Benurmanii wrote:Looking at the old post, I still strongly believe your plant was not in dormancy was was simply drying out. Not sure where you heard that dead leaves will get minerals into the soil, and Mexican Pings don't really care much about minerals.

Can you describe the roots before they came off? To me it just looks like your plant has been constantly drying out due to lack of water, or at least the lack of roots to obtain water (unlike what most people believe, rotting off Mexican Ping roots tends to leaves you with a drying out plant, not a rotting plant).

Also, don't bury the leaves, leave them on the surface. If you bury them, they will probably just collect pathogens and not procude plantlets. I even find with some trickier species that simply touching the pulled end on the soil results in no plantlets.
Thank you for your help and answers. Can't believe you also searched through my old post. When I re-potted the plant, there wasn't a lot of roots. I think it's because of pests, there was like 5-7 strings only, about 1 inches long. I kept the soil moist all the time, as you said probably due to lack of roots.

I just think that leaving dead leaves on the surface could provide minerals to the soil. Like every fall when all the leaves from the tree falls off and become a fertilizer. I'm probably wrong but dead leaves looks awful anyway and pulls out easily.

Now I did left the leaves on the surface properly, but as a newbie on a butterwort, I can't belieave they will start propagation like that, but I'll just do what you said. Is there anything else I should be cautious about propagation?

Also, I heard gnat larvae eats butterwort roots and leaves. There were few of the adult gnats flying around the plant before. The picture you see up there is a half peat half sand. Do you think going full sand will be ok for the plant? or is there better material for the plant?
By jeff
Bonjour

for me your plant did not have a problem in your first post .
just a normal leave renewal or may be a hygrometry of the air not strong enough

Ping Mexican can very well do without water during their dormancy( may to october), at home for all my P.Gigantea is the case for others also

Mexican Pings don't really care much about minerals.
I do not agree , many ping love limestone or gypsum (including those of other countries), see their 'in situ' conditions ;)

for leaf cuttings:
you take a container with lid (food tray style)
you put in the bottom a wet sopalin(absorbent paper)
you put your leaves on, you close the box and you maintain at 20-24 ° C with a good light

jeff
By Benurmanii
jeff wrote:Mexican Pings don't really care much about minerals.
I do not agree , many ping love limestone or gypsum (including those of other countries), see their 'in situ' conditions ;)
There I was implying that "they do not care" as a way of saying "it will not bother them". Of course, I'm sure some salts, such as NaCl (which we all typically think of when we hear "salt"), may not be very good for the Pinguicula.
By Benurmanii
However, I have not really found much benefit of growing gypsicola in gypsum, for me it does not grow any different from those without it. Perhaps the difference will be seen when the plants are mature, perhaps in a difference in flower frequency or color. I have my doubts as to whether the Pings are actually absorbing the gypsum and making anything useful of it. What in their metabolism would be different so that a species may benefit from such a niche mineral? To me it just seems that they simply grow in the gypsum because the mineral is so abundant in the landscape. Seems to just be another form of basic substrate, providing calcium to the plant like limestone.

I also have grown P. calderoniae with and without limestone substrate and haven't found any noticeable differences. I shall do some more proper testing this winter, and look for more subtle differences, such as root length and size, speed of growth. But from my experiences so-far, it does not matter whether you have a neutral or basic media for your Mexican Pinguicula, I have yet to grow one that absolutely must grow in a basic soil.
By jeff
Bonjour

between Na Cl and CaSO4·2H2O(gypsum) or just CaCO3(limestone)there is a world.

when you do ' in situ' in europe you meet more species of ping in limestone environments than in acid environment, I think that for the other counterfeits it is the same thing ,and I think it's not a coincidence

jeff

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!