FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By clintosaurus
I currently have a venus flytrap in the vegetable drawer of my refrigerator, which is about 5°C. I simply placed the whole pot in the fridge, using a sulphur-based fungicide to curb mold growth. I know refrigeration is not the best dormancy technique, but I left the flytrap outside to experience near freezing temperatures and low light before placing it there. It is too cold outside and my home is too warm and insulated to allow dormancy on a windowsill, and the garage and shed I have are both too dark and cold to allow proper dormancy either.

It been there 2 months now with no problems except the odd mold growth which seems to have all but stopped now, and the plant is mostly still green. About a month ago while removing dead growth to prevent mold, I accidentally divided two pieces of rhizome from the main plant, and now I have two divisions from the main plant. These divisions are small and each has 3 large leaves with a new leaf in the centre, though no growth due to dormancy. The divisions have stayed green this entire month and my worry comes from them not having any roots. These divisions were probably too young, but I was wondering is there a chance that the bulb may have enough energy to grow roots and allow the plantlets to survive?

I'm not too worried since it seems the plant has produced many growth points, so I'm sure either this spring or next spring I will have a lot of new plants. However, it would be nice to have 2 new plants for next year. The divisions are about the diameter of a quarter, maybe a loonie.

Thanks for your help.
By riveraXVX
spring time should be fine, you can naturally break away chunks like that in the spring as long as the rhizome is healthy - the plants can generally come back.
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!