FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By nowakpiotr2005
Guys, what's the temperature (in °C) that a VFT will undergo dormancy successfully?

Wysłane z mojego HUAWEI CUN-L01 przy użyciu Tapatalka
By FLTropical
Photoperiod matters more. I’m in subtropical Florida, and have barely been below 60 F, and mine are dormant.
By SundewWolf
I would say the same, since I was a big fan of the short-photoperiod dormancy, except I'm a bit concerned about the photoperiod trick now. A few of mine are putting up flower stalks currently indoors under my growlights (turned on 8am-5pm and room temp at 74*F). Maybe I need to make the lights run 9am-4pm.
By Huntsmanshorn
Anywhere around 7c is really good. That's a nice, solid, safe dormancy temperature but as stated, photoperiod is more important.
By FLTropical
Yeah. My night temperatures this time of year drop into the sixties regularly, fifties occasionally.
By Nightwing42540
FLTropical wrote:Photoperiod matters more. I’m in subtropical Florida, and have barely been below 60 F, and mine are dormant.
Can you check my dormancy post, I'm in Florida (Miami) so I thought you might know. Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
By steve booth
The recommended ideal is 3-10C however I have had mine in an outside bog with a large mass down to minus 15C with a light covering of fern fronds over, and didn't loose any. Occasional freezes aren't detrimental in large mass.
Frequent freeze and thaw cycles, desiccating wind and how wet they are kept, are generally the killers.
Cheers
Steve
By Fly Trap Hunter
SundewWolf wrote:I would say the same, since I was a big fan of the short-photoperiod dormancy, except I'm a bit concerned about the photoperiod trick now. A few of mine are putting up flower stalks currently indoors under my growlights (turned on 8am-5pm and room temp at 74*F). Maybe I need to make the lights run 9am-4pm.
I'm in southeastern North Carolina. My plants are outside and I assume dormant. But they are still putting out new growth. Almost all my typicals are sending up flower stalks. a few are about to bloom. Tonight it will nearly freeze but be 60f tomorrow. vfts only get 3 to 4 hours of direct sun. Some of my cultivars have stopped or nearly stopped growing while others just keep growing. I'm going to cut the flower stalks off.

This flowering typical has been very aggressive its whole life.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!