FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By mo_carnivore
I just got some pool filter sand, and was reading the safety precautions on the back. Apparently, crystallized silica (which pool filter sand contains) is a carcinogen, and can be dangerous when inhaled, ingested, or touched? What? I was aware of the inhaling and ingesting, but the touching? Or is this the sort of thing that they have to put on the container and really has a very low chance of happening. The bag also said to use the entire contents immediately and then dispose of the bag. Is it okay if I don't do that?

Thanks!
By Jaws
Basically you dont want to breath the dust in, they cover themselves with the small print.
Be careful with any product that can create dust, use in a well ventilated area.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Yeah that’s basically just to cover themselves. I use pool filter sand and touch it all the time. Those precautions are really for someone who uses it on a daily basis like sandblasting and inhale it over long periods of time. You are good.
By riveraXVX
agreed, same thing with any materials that really create dust, that is why a lot of folks work with things wet also and rinse them to help get rid of the dust aspect (as well as rinsing it for cleansing)

perlite comes to mind as another you don't want to just sit sucking in the dust from
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!