FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Newbiegrower17
My sundew won't wrap around anything to eat it. I'm not sure what's wrong. I just got it a few weeks ago.im not sure if it's dew on it or not I seen a post saying that condensation can build up on the tentacles instead of dew. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong please help
Attachments:
It might not be enough dew on it
It might not be enough dew on it
IMG_1422.JPG (682.5 KiB) Viewed 10497 times
See the food on the plant
See the food on the plant
IMG_1421.JPG (595.92 KiB) Viewed 10497 times
IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG (446.87 KiB) Viewed 10497 times
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1409.JPG (691.12 KiB) Viewed 10497 times
By Sakaaaaa
It looks dewy enoigh but what food is that? I heard sundews can tell the difference between actuall food (bugs) and other things such as dirt.
By AndyTheTaco
Don't panic man! I was a little scared too but I got mine approximately 3 weeks ago or a month and until 2 days ago it finally wrap to a bug, before that he only used his tentacles not wrap into it so its fine, my conclusion is the shock.

Sent from my LG-K530 using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
Drosera do not roll up their leaves around every bit of prey, just the larger ones. If a housefly lands on the leaf, it'll probably roll up. If a gnat lands, a tentacle or two might move to place the bug into the midline of the leaf.

Also, if you've only had the plant a few weeks, give it a little more time to acclimate to your conditions.

From the photo, your plant looks very healthy. Be a little more patient. Wait a few more weeks. Give it lots of light and very pure water. (rainwater or distilled water). Feed it tiny bugs at first or let it catch its own prey.

Good growing,
Mike
By AndyTheTaco
And if you are not sure if is dew just carefully touch one tentacle with a toothpick. And he's perfectly fine

Sent from my LG-K530 using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
Your's is still acclimating to the new growing conditions, so the dew is very sparse. Condensation will only build up in conditions where humidity is very high, like 90%+ so that's something you're not going to have to worry about unless it's in a bag. It looks like your lights are ok, so make sure the soil stays moist and it should be looking good after about another 2 weeks. You can still add liquid fertilizer to the old leaves to give it a boost in growth.
By Newbiegrower17
Thanks everyone for the advice I kinda figured it was either still acclimating or something but I will give it a few more weeks b4 trying to feed it again. In the pic I tried 2 different foods beta fish flakes and also bloodworms . I crushed the beta fish flakes up but not the bloodworms I just put a worm straight onto the tentacle.
By Tigergirl2000
I've had my two sundews since the second week of July. I figured they would need time to acclimate, and for a while it seemed like they had; they looked better than they had when I initially got them. About a week or so ago I began to see dew forming on them, so I assumed they were healthy enough to start catching insects. They had no luck however, so I tried to see if either of them would eat a freeze dried bloodworm. Neither one took the worm. That's why I wanted to check and clarify if my plants were healthy enough. I make sure they get the proper amounts of water and sunlight, so if they aren't healthy enough, then I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or they just need more time to acclimate. So, based on the pictures of my plants, are they healthy?
Attachments:
thumbnail_IMG-0403.jpg
thumbnail_IMG-0403.jpg (250.16 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
thumbnail_IMG-0402.jpg
thumbnail_IMG-0402.jpg (202.88 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
thumbnail_IMG-0401.jpg
thumbnail_IMG-0401.jpg (233.4 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
By uxleumas
they seem fine to me. the flower stalk may be draining the energy and you could consider cutting it. also, don't know what sundew you have(you probaly told me somewhere) but when i see dew-less leaves, i increase watering. maybe like, soak it for an hour in a small tub or something every couple of days. yours looks great compared to some other ones (see: post359915.html#p359915) i like to make some freeze dried blood worm(i use fzdrdbw since it's so long) "soup" by adding a ratio of 1:2 of water to powdered frzdrdbw by volume. let it sit for a minute or so and then suck up the water and place it on the leaf. since it doesn't have to really curl it's leaf or do much since the nutrients are all tin the water, it can easily get nutrients
edit: btw, update if they get worse or don't get better
By Adriana
I'll just add that if you have a loupe or magnifying glass, you'll be able to see if the tentacles have attached to the prey. The leaves often don't curl if you lay the bloodworm parallel to the leaf, but you will see the tentacles stretch to grasp it.
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!