FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mawy_Plants
Hello all! I recently purchased a couple Cephalotus clumps that were shipped bareroot. None of the pitchers have opened and I can hardly tell if any of the previous growth is still growing. I have read they do take a while so I was interested in your opinion about how they're doing and if there's anything I can improve on.

Tomorrow will mark two weeks since I potted these little guys. I used a mixture of peat, silica sand, and perlite. Made it pretty gritty, then topped off with sand. I top watered them a few days ago, with about 90mL each pot, barely any water hit the drip tray.

They stay outside with my other new additions that I am acclimating. They get dappled sunlight since they're in an area where our fruit trees cast a shadow most of the day. My hardiness zone is considered 10a. My latitude is 2 degrees off of Albany, AUS and longitude is a 5 degree difference. This information gave me much confidence that they will fare well in my conditions. Was I mistaken?

It has recently been less humid than usual so yesterday I decided to cover each with those clear orchid pots that have a bunch of slits. I'm not sure if that's helping increase humidity, so today I sprayed the inside of the pots with DI water and later sprayed the clumps directly.

They may still be adjusting to the conditions since I'm not sure if they were intially grown indoors, but they're from barely over an hour North of me. Hopefully they're just overcoming the shock of new media, repotting, and outdoor conditions opposed to my negligence.

I would like to note a few pitchers have dried since receiving them. I can include photos from when I first potted them and a week after if that would help.

This is my first go with this Genus, any input would help. Many thanks!
Attachments:
Taken 09/27
Taken 09/27
IMG_4931.JPG (934.37 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
Taken 09/27
Taken 09/27
IMG_4929.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 2249 times
Taken 09/27. You can see the clear orchid pot in top right corner
Taken 09/27. You can see the clear orchid pot in top right corner
IMG_4928.JPG (933.25 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
Last edited by Mawy_Plants on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By mo_carnivore
I am by no means an expert in cephs (I don't even have one!) but the general rule in acclimating carnivores is to cover them with some sort of clear material to keep in humidity but let in light. The orchid pots might help some, but it is better to start off with high humidity and gradually decrease it. If left alone, however, they will probably eventually adjust to your conditions, although maybe not as fast. Hope this helps, and take my advice with a grain of salt!
By Mawy_Plants
I really appreciate your input, mo_carnivore!

I don't know why that completely slipped my mind when I received them. Then I kept reading that's what members usually do when they repot any plant. Doh! I guess I just assumed the humidity in my area was high enough that it would be okay. Lol. Rookie mistake.

May I ask your opinion about the clear pots? Would you seal some of the silts to give a higher humidity? Or would it be counterproductive at this point since they were free standing?

I would like to continue using the clear pots, maybe it can still help! I hope I'm not confusing them too bad. :shock:
By mo_carnivore
I would cover the slits until only a few remain, then once the plants start perking up within the pots start removing a few covers at a time, making sure to wait for the cephs to recuperate every time. Eventually, when the covers are all off and the plant looks healthy, put it in a sheltered location for a few days and slowly move it out into its new home. It will take a while, but the plants will more thoroughly adjusted to your conditions.
By Mawy_Plants
I will for sure begin bagging my plants from now on. It makes sense to do so, it's like throwing someone outside in the snow after they got used to relaxing by the fireplace. Perhaps not that extreme tho!

Thanks again, mo_carnivore!
By Mawy_Plants
While doing my rounds in the garden this morning, I noticed my little ones have opened up a pitcher on each clump! Only a bit, but so stoked to see that they're happy enough to expel the energy to do so!

Took these yesterday, showing nice color, and holding quite a few of the original pitchers.
Attachments:
Tarantula. Taken 11/30
Tarantula. Taken 11/30
IMG_6134.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1979 times
Jelly and Belly. Taken 11/30
Jelly and Belly. Taken 11/30
IMG_6133.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1979 times
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!