FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By thapan
Hello guys,
I received a Royal Red two weeks ago, and the last few days began to turn black. It was doing ok the first 5 days. I had a plastic cover over the pot for better humidity. One morning, I realized that the cover had fallen off during the night and one baby leaf/trap had turned black. Now, all traps are black.
I kept it indoors, under a 18w CFL bulb, I gave it distilled water and tried to keep the soil moist. The good thing is that rhizome is still white.
The day I received it. One trap is rotten...

These two are after a week from repotting.
Right now, I have it outdoors under shade cloth. Is it going dormant or is something else wrong? I have read about symptoms of dormancy but new growth going black wasn't one of them.
Last edited by thapan on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Fieldofscreams
I had two baby traps on my B52's go black just after emerging and more than half of the new traps that just emerged on my typicals go black also.

Never did find out why.
By thapan
Fieldofscreams, it was after repotting or some environmental change that you noticed those black traps?
By Fieldofscreams
Yup. I repotted and then they were put out into full sun (not hardened off first). Right away most of the new growth that came up turned black.
By thapan
Fieldofscreams wrote:Right away most of the new growth that came up turned black.
Mine turned black after some days from repotting. Don't know what to think. So, it is probably transplanting shock. I'll wait and see how it will go..
Today, after I trimmed all black traps. :cry:
By Fieldofscreams
Correlation does not equal causation is my motto, well one of many. So im not 100% sure what really caused it.

Mine may or may not survive at this point. I think they will but with dormancy coming soon i probably wont know for sure until spring.
By thapan
I guess we may never know for sure. Hope the plants would be fine when spring comes.
By tommyr
Fieldofscreams wrote:Yup. I repotted and then they were put out into full sun (not hardened off first). Right away most of the new growth that came up turned black.
THAT might be your problem. You re-potted then put it out in full sun without hardening it off. It's shocked.
By thapan
Hello guys, we had a couple of very rainy and windy days here last week and some rain had reached the pot of my flytrap (which was under a kiosk). When I checked on the flytrap after a day, the soil was soaked in water and the rhizome was all black.
It's very sad because it started to recover. There were two new leaves emerging from the rhizome. :(
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!