FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
I was curious about if there was a way to induce random mutations in seeds of plants such that the plant that grows will be mutated and weird. I've heard about using different hormones and stuff. Any other ways one could induce mutations? I'm willing to do an experiment with D. affinis/intermedia/burmannii/Dianthus seeds as the pods are going to be ripe soon and I have burmannii and dianthus seed waiting in the fridge.

I've heard microwaves can induce mutations :roll:
By xr280xr
I wonder if cold could? Otherwise all I can think of is some form of radiation strong enough to get through the seed coat.
By SundewWolf
It seems like microwaves will do nothing other than possibly cook the seeds if moisture is present. I guess some people have used ethyl methanesulfonate and dimethyl sulfate as mutagens, or radiation (mainly gamma rays and sometimes x-rays)...So you can try to get your hands on those compounds or find a university/lab near you who can put a seed pack by their machines for a while.
By Sakaaaaa
SundewWolf wrote:I guess some people have used ethyl methanesulfonate and dimethyl sulfate as mutagens, or radiation (mainly gamma rays and sometimes x-rays)...So you can try to get your hands on those compounds or find a university/lab near you who can put a seed pack by their machines for a while.
I've heard of those compounds being used here. OR I can get an X-Ray taken with a seed pack in my pocket, that would be possible too I guess. Either way, I'm imagining myself showing Drosera seeds to a guy and saying I want to mutate them :lol:
By Sakaaaaa
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Dionaea 'trichterfalle' was created when the creator soaked flytrap seeds in colchicine, which causes mutations
I know. That's where I got the idea for this thread, and I wanted to see if there were any other ways to make crazy plants. Also, I thought that the seeds were soaked in "phytohormones"? Or is colchicine one of them? Can I use colchicine tablets, how many would I need?
By HeliamphoraWalnut
Sakaaaaa wrote:
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Dionaea 'trichterfalle' was created when the creator soaked flytrap seeds in colchicine, which causes mutations
I know. That's where I got the idea for this thread, and I wanted to see if there were any other ways to make crazy plants. Also, I thought that the seeds were soaked in "phytohormones"? Or is colchicine one of them? Can I use colchicine tablets, how many would I need?
Colchicine is a very hazardous material in the US, and you need prescription or lab approval.
I would try tissue culture with hormones for starting
But even before that, why don’t you just grow the plants normally? Lol they look cool enough without mutations
By Sakaaaaa
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote: Colchicine is a very hazardous material in the US, and you need prescription or lab approval.
I would try tissue culture with hormones for starting
But even before that, why don’t you just grow the plants normally? Lol they look cool enough without mutations
A) Hmm, alright and understandable
B) I can't do tissue culture unfortunately at the moment.
C) Hahaha :lol: You never have enough plants, especially if they're all different.
By Mawy_Plants
I could try it, it's a mouth xray so I guess I could just aim it to what I have seeds placed on. We also have a UV light. Pretty sure that's what it is. Not sure what seeds I would use or what interesting mutations could arise depending. I guess that's the point of this. Haha. I have some from the SeedBank, still waiting to sow tho since I'm an outdoor grower and "winter is coming!" I also don't want to ruin my seeds before even giving them a chance at life either... :roll:
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!