FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By AndyTheTaco
Ok, first, I'm newbie in sundews, My plant has spots on a (Single) leaf I supposed the leaf is dying because is the oldest and the tip is brown do they die like this? And 2 of the new growth have "albino" tentacles is this normal? And hes eating the bugs without curling just tentacles curling into them is that ok too?ImageImageImage

Sent from my LG-K530 using Tapatalk
By SundewWolf
I actually wasn't sure since I don't pay attention to dying leaves on my plants, but yes, the pink spotting looks normal since mine have it too and they are pest free.

As for the "tentacles", no that's not normal. You can see they look "burned" at the very tip and have no dew. Was it shipped recently? It looks like it's recovering and the new growth should be normal in a few weeks.
By AndyTheTaco
SundewWolf wrote:I actually wasn't sure since I don't pay attention to dying leaves on my plants, but yes, the pink spotting looks normal since mine have it too and they are pest free.

As for the "tentacles", no that's not normal. You can see they look "burned" at the very tip and have no dew. Was it shipped recently? It looks like it's recovering and the new growth should be normal in a few weeks.
Ok the spots had me worried now I'm fine, and yeah I had it for 5 days now, but does it still digest it?

By AndyTheTaco
SundewWolf wrote:No, if there is no dew, then I don't think so. The dew has digestive enzymes present to break down the insect, so no dew = essentially no digestion.
How did they got attract? That's my question Image

By AndyTheTaco
SundewWolf can you send my a pic of your cape sundew?

By AndyTheTaco
SundewWolf wrote:why?
I've been seeing cape sundews with big thick leafs and mine are tin, how are yours?

By SundewWolf
Some might have been capensis "wide leaf", yours don't look thin, they look like the normal capensis leaves to me.

I put pic on my instagram (first link in my signature), but I don't think it will be helpful at all. I don't grow typical capensis, so the closest thing to yours is probably my "all red" cultivar, which is green because I use shop lights and also shove all my capes to the back of the grow shelf and I pay very little attention to them.

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!