FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Volmen
Ops lol it’s got confused because that’s just the common name for it! Oregon sphagnum moss :-/

~Volmen
By Fly Trap Hunter
after a google search, I stand corrected. it looks like that is sphagnum moss you can dry out and use or top dress with live moss. nice I cant go out and dig up live moss whenever I want, so I just buy it.
Volmen wrote:Ops lol it’s got confused because that’s just the common name for it! Oregon sphagnum moss :-/

~Volmen
By Fly Trap Hunter
I was out in an area today where venus fly traps grow in the wild and was looking at the soil. it varies from being 80%peat and 20% sand with fine roots all in it so it seems airy and dry. it sounds hollow when you scratch the top. its because the roots keep the soil open and airy. imho these are very old wooded areas that havnt been disturbed much for hundreds of years if ever. In another area, it seems its 20% peat and 80% sand and this is a lower area that holds water and the cps just sit in water all year. The Sarracenia don't seem to like sitting in a pond, but I'm sure the water table is pretty close to the top of the soil anyway. vfts and sundews grow right in the water in the sandy peat mix. I was surprised to see live sphag moss submerged in water and happy as can be. oh and cps grow on top of or in the live sphag moss(soil) as well.
By Bob Beer
Okay just to clarify, Eurynchium is not Sphagnum, it’s Eurhynchium. Sphagnum is the genus name, and it’s in its own family as well, Sphagnaceae. Other genera of mosses will not be a substitute for Sphagnum. There are close to 400 different species of Sphagnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Bob Beer
Because the Nursery trade has a lot of commercially motivated but botanically challenged people? :-)

By Volmen
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:I was out in an area today where venus fly traps grow in the wild and was looking at the soil. it varies from being 80%peat and 20% sand with fine roots all in it so it seems airy and dry. it sounds hollow when you scratch the top. its because the roots keep the soil open and airy. imho these are very old wooded areas that havnt been disturbed much for hundreds of years if ever. In another area, it seems its 20% peat and 80% sand and this is a lower area that holds water and the cps just sit in water all year. The Sarracenia don't seem to like sitting in a pond, but I'm sure the water table is pretty close to the top of the soil anyway. vfts and sundews grow right in the water in the sandy peat mix. I was surprised to see live sphag moss submerged in water and happy as can be. oh and cps grow on top of or in the live sphag moss(soil) as well.
Wow they seem to be happy in a good range of soils, perlite would be good to simulate those fine roots! Lol sometimes to me it seems vft’s are just a step away from being a air plant lol

Bob Beer wrote:Because the Nursery trade has a lot of commercially motivated but botanically challenged people? Image

Lol I wouldn’t doubt that when Portland’s involved with anything! They scare me sometimes!

~Volmen
By Bob Beer
We get a glycerine-preserved and dyed sheet moss labeled as “sphagnum moss”. The same company also sells long-fiber Sphagnum, and uses the same package. So I suspect it may just be a combination of laziness and a perception that “sphagnum” means “moss.” :-)

By Big-Jack
I might throw a synthetic sponge in the blender and see if pulverized sponge could be used as a substitute for peat moss. Mix it with some sand and/or perlite. Voilà! A permanent media that will never break down or compact. I have enough typicals that I can eat the loss of one if it doesn't work out.
By Fly Trap Hunter
I had the roots of vft wrapped in a wet paper towel for a month. it was sitting in water. it was perfectly happy.

there is lots of pine bark debris in the wild. I don't know how much pine bark can be used?

my traps seem to be most bothered if they dry out in the sun. and I accidentally spilled some grape juice on 1 and killed it. I slipped and juice went flying. I didn't realize I splashed juice on 1. :cry:
By Sakaaaaa
There was a guy that did an experiment where he grey VFTs in tubes filled with stones and distilled water. I wonder how that went.
By Fly Trap Hunter
I'm wanting to experiment with nice stones, mostly for looks.
Sakaaaaa wrote:There was a guy that did an experiment where he grey VFTs in tubes filled with stones and distilled water. I wonder how that went.
I wondor what liquid the fly trap is growing in? if you do searches, these traps keep dividing and people have to bust the jar open. https://www.amazon.com/Venus-mericlone- ... trap+plant
By Bob Beer
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:I'm wanting to experiment with nice stones, mostly for looks.
Sakaaaaa wrote:There was a guy that did an experiment where he grey VFTs in tubes filled with stones and distilled water. I wonder how that went.
I wondor what liquid the fly trap is growing in? if you do searches, these traps keep dividing and people have to bust the jar open. https://www.amazon.com/Venus-mericlone- ... trap+plant
I think that’s agar.

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!