FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Fieldofscreams
Area: West Michigan

Insulated but unheated garage. Still scary, even though it is insulated and finished does not mean that it wont get below freezing for long periods of time or off and on constantly. Just depends on the winter year to year.

AcueRight wireless digital thermometer.

24x18x72 wire shelving rack

Two MarsHydro 300W LED rigs.

Smart electrician astronomical timer from menards.

Just ordered a 'Big Mouth' and a 'Low Giant' VFT plus 20 Hydrofarm 5x5x7 white pots. I want to order from here but none of the cultivars i want are in stock :cry:

Now i just need to decide if i want to switch from 50/50 peat/perlite to LFSM. Im going to need a lot of it so the cost im worried about. Still debating.

By Matt
Fieldofscreams wrote:Still scary, even though it is insulated and finished does not mean that it wont get below freezing for long periods of time or off and on constantly. Just depends on the winter year to year.
If there's electricity out there, why not get a small heater to heat the space? That's what we do with our garage and it works quite well.
Fieldofscreams wrote:Just ordered a 'Big Mouth' and a 'Low Giant' VFT plus 20 Hydrofarm 5x5x7 white pots. I want to order from here but none of the cultivars i want are in stock
Sorry about that :( We don't have those 2 clones in stock right now but we do have quite a few others...

Good luck with your garage set up! I think it will work well. We've overwintered plants like that a couple of times over the last 10 years and they did fine.
By Fieldofscreams
Matt wrote:If there's electricity out there, why not get a small heater to heat the space? That's what we do with our garage and it works quite well.
Im going to pick one up.

Matt wrote:Sorry about that :( We don't have those 2 clones in stock right now but we do have quite a few others...
I only like the giants right now. DCXL im ordering soon but i want to order more than just that one, I prefer to order 2+ plants at the same time. What do you have in stock that you would recommend?

The two cultivars that are at the top of my list is the G16 Slacks Giant and Wally. Are you going to have those two in stock at some point? I would love to order DCXL, G16 and Wally at the same time. I would order today even :lol:
Matt wrote:Good luck with your garage set up! I think it will work well. We've overwintered plants like that a couple of times over the last 10 years and they did fine.
Yeah im not seeing any reason this wont work. Just a matter of keeping the soil at the right moisture and lots of light that mimics sunrise/sunset.
By Matt
Fieldofscreams wrote:I only like the giants right now. DCXL im ordering soon but i want to order more than just that one, I prefer to order 2+ plants at the same time. What do you have in stock that you would recommend?

The two cultivars that are at the top of my list is the G16 Slacks Giant and Wally. Are you going to have those two in stock at some point? I would love to order DCXL, G16 and Wally at the same time. I would order today even
Sorry I'm just now getting back to checking the forums after being busy all weekend!

Of the plants we have listed in stock right now, the giants we have that I'd highly recommend are:
** DC XL
** SD Kronos
** Jaws (one of my all-time favorites)
** FTS Maroon Monster (also one of my all-time favorites)
** B52 x BCP Giant (a very vigorous and large plant)
** Bimbo
** BCP Z11
** Megatraps
**Seed Grown (we have a bunch of Alien seedlings that grew up to be quite massive flytraps. They don't look particularly much like Alien, but they do have elongated traps compared to an average flytrap.)

G16 and Wally are both great plants and I'm propagating more of them. Leah might know of some that she could sell now. You might try emailing her at sales@flytrapcare.com and ask her specifically about those two clones. I know we have some out there, and most of them are a bit too small to sell yet, but some might be ready or nearly ready for new homes.
By Fieldofscreams
Awesome!!

Well this morning I was checking my wishlist to see what might be in-stock and it said G16 was in stock. I quickly ordered, ordered so fast that I forgot to throw in DCXL with it, oh well :lol: As soon as I finished ordering it went back to out of stock again, I must have bought the only one you guys had ready to be sold or something :D

Ill contact Leah and see when Wally will be available and ill just order him and DCXL at the same time.
By blams
Ok. I have an attached unheated sunroom. And an attached - insulated - unheated garage. Sunroom has a lot of sunlight. Garage does not.

I feel like the sunroom could be perfect. However there is a gas heater in there that we use, sparingly throughout the winter if we want to enjoy a day or night in the sunroom.

I don't have any Ultra Violet light.
I don't have a space heater I feel comfortable using unsupervised.

What is the best option I have? Really trying to get my venus fly trap to live through the winter.

Do I do the same thing for my Judith hindle as well?

I'm about 30 minutes from Chicago. We just had our first frost a couple of weeks ago so I've moved them into my basement (heated) windowsill.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By Panman
I think the sun room would be the best choice. If you are going to heat it at all you can move the plants out when you do or insulate the with a blanket while the heat is on. Yes, treat both plants the same.
By blams
Panman wrote:I think the sun room would be the best choice. If you are going to heat it at all you can move the plants out when you do or insulate the with a blanket while the heat is on. Yes, treat both plants the same.
Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you! I know I'm asking the same questions (kinda) as before, just trying to make sure I make the right move.

I'm not good at keeping plants alive but I'm trying my best to improve.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

I know it's gonna be a blast!!! Wish I could come[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!