FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
Im looking to upgrade my lights. I've been looking on ebay. The 300w LED $60 ish dollars are looking about right for my wallet. Are these and good? There's a few brands on there like mars hydro,kenly and meizhi. Are they all about the same or is there a better brand? The biggest problem I have is the mars. I got on there site to cumpar price and they have no lights that look like the one on ebay nor anything close to that price point. I'm not even sure how much area one would cover. My rack shelves are about 24x18x18. would one curve a shelf?
By Hungry Plants
Shadowtski wrote:Amazon still sells the MarsHydro 300.
That model has been replaced by newer models on MarsHydro's lineup, I believe.
I use 2 of the old 300 models and I love them.

Good growing,
Mike

How much of an area do you think it will cover at 18"
By Shadowtski
How much of an area do you think it will cover at 18"
Mine are 24 inches above rack level. They cover more than 24 by 24 inches at that height. Plant to light distances are 21 to 16 inches depending on pot height. At this distance, the light is too strong for some species and I have to move them off the main shelf.

Good growing,
Mike
By Hungry Plants
Very nice MIke. Is that a similar light one the second shelf let side and I'm guessing the front rolls down. If so what do you use for air movement?
By Shadowtski
Hungry Plants wrote:Very nice MIke. Is that a similar light one the second shelf let side and I'm guessing the front rolls down. If so what do you use for air movement?
Second level left is a 45 watt LED. It's about a foot square.

The front rolls down in Winter to conserve heat. In Summer, I leave it rolled up to avoid heat buildup. In the near future, I will add two fans in the bottom, one exhausting air, one boosting inlet air.

The setup is nothing fancy but the plants seem OK with it.

Good growing,
Mike
By GenoMontez21
Hungry Plants wrote:Im looking to upgrade my lights. I've been looking on ebay. The 300w LED $60 ish dollars are looking about right for my wallet. Are these and good? There's a few brands on there like mars hydro,kenly and meizhi. Are they all about the same or is there a better brand? The biggest problem I have is the mars. I got on there site to cumpar price and they have no lights that look like the one on ebay nor anything close to that price point. I'm not even sure how much area one would cover. My rack shelves are about 24x18x18. would one curve a shelf?
Hi, this site might help you with LEd light https://www.sompor.com/. They manufacture and sell LED lights only, I'm not sure about the prices though.
By Volmen
I would suggest marshydro 300w to start out with, A lot of us here have that model and they do a good job growing carnivorous plants! Best value for our budgets really..

The reason why they don’t have it on their main site anymore is because it’s a older model (one of their first models). They use their website to show off their newer more expensive models to try and keep up with the bigger brands!

They use eBay really for a means to continue to sell their older models!

I have 4 marshydro 300w, as for the other brands idk never had any exp with em

According to marshydro their Marshydro 300w has a max of 2’ by 2’ foot coverage! At 18” to get the par output in their diagram below but u really will have to experiment with your plants to see what’s the best height! Of course the higher it is the more coverage their is at the expense of the par that reaches your plants! They also say the lumen output is about 5911.

To tell u the truth really from what I’ve looked at on the web theirs not much of a difference between the brands u listed when it comes to “coverage” but they did very on the amount of par they created at the same distances!

Anyways I suggest the marshydro 300w lol

~Volmen
By Fieldofscreams
I just ordered another Mars300W and a shelving rack.

Im still not sure what a good distance from the plants should be. Cant really experiment with them because they are pretty much dormant now so they aren't going to do much to tell me what they like or don't like.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!