FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Tryner78
Lately, my room has been extremely dry. This has had a negative impact on my sleep as well as the growth of my pitcher plants. My sundews are fine dew to their enclosures. looking around for humidifiers, I have my eye on this one- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KN ... P7N9&psc=1
If I used tap water, would an ultrasonic humidifier have a negative impact on my plants? Or should I use distilled water?
The reason I like that one is that it has both timing and humidity sense features. I know that most people just get a grow tent, but due to my budget, dry air related health annoyances, and not many plants to produce their own humidity, that is not as feasible. Here's my setup:
Thanks in advance,
--T :)
By Bhart90
im no genius regarding the humidity sorry. BUT I can tell you that you are wasting a L O T of light with the setup looking like that
By Rammplins
Ultrasonic foggers will carry any nutrients/minerals that are in the water, so if you have high PPM water then you will have high PPM fog. Use distilled water for sure, plus it will extend the life of your humidifier and keep it cleaner.
Rammplins liked this
By Rammplins
Certain low water sensors are based on the fact that water is usually conductive. The water "completes" the circuit while high enough, and when the water line falls below the sensor it shuts the unit off. The problem is pure water is not conductive, so it cant tell there is any water there and the circuit stays open. I have found that the lower limit of most sensors is around 5-10 PPM
By Tryner78
Bhart90 wrote:im no genius regarding the humidity sorry. BUT I can tell you that you are wasting a L O T of light with the setup looking like that
Oh! Would this be better? :lol: . I'm planning on maybe throwing a translucent tarp over it too. That CFL is not normally on too.
Rammplins wrote:Certain low water sensors are based on the fact that water is usually conductive. The water "completes" the circuit while high enough, and when the water line falls below the sensor it shuts the unit off. The problem is pure water is not conductive, so it cant tell there is any water there and the circuit stays open. I have found that the lower limit of most sensors is around 5-10 PPM

Thanks, I thought that might be an issue. I'll just have to keep an eye on it and/or use the timer feature. You also reminded me of my favorite teacher and the demonstration he showed my chem class to prove what you said about the conductivity of mineral water vs pure water. This humidifier apparently has a filter on it, but I'm still going to play it safe. Since these are designed for use with distilled or filtered water, I think it might use light sensors or maybe pressure to detect low water.
By Bhart90
yea, anything to keep as much light on the plants as possible. After all, your not trying to make your walls grow, rite? haha
By Orit
Yes, as Rammplins said, ultrasonic ones will disperse minerals in the fog. we have hard water and they left a mineral dust on the surfaces of everything. and you can go through a gallon or two per day, so using distilled water will really add up.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!