FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Plantman818
Hey guys! Haven't posted here in a while so figured I'd do an update on my carnivorous plant addiction :D I have developed a liking for nepenthes...thus why in posting in the nepenthes forums lol. I also grow other plants too such as cobra lilies a Venus fly trap and sarracenia but I digress. Here as some pics of my neps.

N. Hamata

Got her almost a month ago(confirmed female)

N. Hamata x Platychila

N.Spathulata x Hamata

N. Ventricosa/Ventrata?

N. Ventricosa x Hamata

N. Unknown hybrid

N. Copelandii

N. Hamata

Umfortumatelty this guy took a beating from the sun thus I bought an indoor grow setup. For the hamatas at night I keep the air saturated and put ice packs in their area to drop their temp. They seem to be doing fine for now but I was also hoping someone could direct me towards a solid ac unit for them that's on the smaller side and preferably around 250 or less. Any input appreciated thanks :)
Plantman818 liked this
By Nick
Nice collection! Where did you find a female hamata?

From what I have seen online, there is a lot of debate about the importance of temperature drops. Some folks say that keeping humidity high is more important for overall health and pitchering, while others say it is essential for highlanders/ultra highlanders. I don't have enough experience to give proper input but for the sake of personal simplicity, I am hoping that temp drops are not extremely significant.
By Rammplins
Lovely pitchers! I love neps too, slowly my highland tank is getting full. Latley i have been letting telling people about my peltier cooler setup. A 40$ cooler me drops to the mid 50's at night, and im sure with better heatsinks it could go lower

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
By Benurmanii
Nick wrote:Nice collection! Where did you find a female hamata?

From what I have seen online, there is a lot of debate about the importance of temperature drops. Some folks say that keeping humidity high is more important for overall health and pitchering, while others say it is essential for highlanders/ultra highlanders. I don't have enough experience to give proper input but for the sake of personal simplicity, I am hoping that temp drops are not extremely significant.
Night time temp drops is important for the longterm health of Nepenthes. I've generally heard that young plants can get away with less of a temp drop. Humidity and temps are sort of two separate areas in regards to overall plant health.
By Plantman818
@nick I've heard highlanders do require night temp drops so thus I've been trying to figure it out for some time now hopefully can get it figured out before summer arrives. Also if im not mistaken the AW clone 2 is a female
Last edited by Plantman818 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Plantman818
@rampplins mid 50s you say?where may i buy one of these doo hickeys from or do i need to set it up?forgive my noobiness i have never really looked into peltier as i heard you need very powerful units to cool down a grow area
By Rammplins
Yep, 55-56 every night, and will probably work better once winter sets in and it gets a little colder in the grow room. Noobness is not a problem. Not many know about peltiers other than computer people, and I think there are only a handful of people on here who use them. I got mine from amazon, and luckily they have a bunch in the states. I just had a package wait in customs for 2 weeks before they released it, that was fun.

It is impossible to cool a room or a large area with them, but if you need a specific item or smaller space cooled then they work perfectly. They take a little bit of wiring/elecrtical know-how to set up, but it costs less than an A/C and uses less power. I just did a write-up on how I set up my highland tank, just search for peltier and you should find it
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!