FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By mo_carnivore
I was wondering how you guys get such a good temperature drop at night. I'm only getting to around 60-64, and my high is 80 in the day. This is okay for some of my sundews, but I'm sure lots of them would do better under cooler conditions. I put an ice pack in the water tray every night to try to keep the water temperature down. Is this enough? I'm aiming for mid fifties at night.

Thanks!
By iamjacksplants
How do you have the peltier se up?
By boarderlib
Cool basement is how I achieve my drop. Depending on the outside weather I've got down to high 40's (F) in the coldest of winter. It hasn't been through summer yet, but if I still need more in the summer I will be trying Divide and Cultures new cooling setup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By iamjacksplants
boarderlib wrote:Cool basement is how I achieve my drop. Depending on the outside weather I've got down to high 40's (F) in the coldest of winter. It hasn't been through summer yet, but if I still need more in the summer I will be trying Divide and Cultures new cooling setup.

That's awesome, I wish I had one of those! Haha. Almost none of the houses out here have basements. What is this "Divide and Cultures new cooling set up" you speak of?

Cheers,
-@.
By boarderlib
iamjacksplants wrote: That's awesome, I wish I had one of those! Haha. Almost none of the houses out here have basements. What is this "Divide and Cultures new cooling set up" you speak of?

Cheers,
-@.
Haha, I forget sometimes not everyone's areas houses have the same amenities. Anyways. Here's a link to the Instagram post. https://www.instagram.com/p/BgZOe3cn_l4/

He is amazingly creative with his techniques. If I remember correctly he came up with a gemmae vacuum and using an electric toothbrush to collect heli pollen.

boarderlib liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
boarderlib wrote:
iamjacksplants wrote: That's awesome, I wish I had one of those! Haha. Almost none of the houses out here have basements. What is this "Divide and Cultures new cooling set up" you speak of?

Cheers,
-@.
Haha, I forget sometimes not everyone's areas houses have the same amenities. Anyways. Here's a link to the Instagram post. https://www.instagram.com/p/BgZOe3cn_l4/

He is amazingly creative with his techniques. If I remember correctly he came up with a gemmae vacuum and using an electric toothbrush to collect heli pollen.

Wow! Look at all those beautiful plants! I finally germinated some darlingtonia Californicas so I will be looking for a way to cool them down at night. I read that I could melt ice cubes or just set them on the medium and let them melt. I guess I could run a air conditioner but I would rather not. This is my first time and Summer growing DCs, so live and learn.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:Wow! Look at all those beautiful plants! I finally germinated some darlingtonia Californicas so I will be looking for a way to cool them down at night. I read that I could melt ice cubes or just set them on the medium and let them melt. I guess I could run a air conditioner but I would rather not. This is my first time and Summer growing DCs, so live and learn.

I've found that watering with refrigerated water everyday works very well for darlingtonia, once it gets over 75°F. Your climate is much like mine in the summer, hot and stickyImage

By FlyTrap Hunter
boarderlib wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:Wow! Look at all those beautiful plants! I finally germinated some darlingtonia Californicas so I will be looking for a way to cool them down at night. I read that I could melt ice cubes or just set them on the medium and let them melt. I guess I could run a air conditioner but I would rather not. This is my first time and Summer growing DCs, so live and learn.

I've found that watering with refrigerated water everyday works very well for darlingtonia, once it gets over 75°F. Your climate is much like mine in the summer, hot and stickyImage

Yes. It is. And now I live in a swamp( and wilderness). I was on a island. At least we had a constant breeze. If I grow the DCs outside in a green house I will have to have fans and keep it partly open, but that's ok. I am just working on a budget and trying not to get in over my head too fast. Though, I can refrigerate rain water cheap.thanks for the affirmation

By mo_carnivore
I might have to move my plants down to the basement for the summer... In the winter, conditions are great---low 50s at night and under LEDs it never gets above 75. During the summer though, the lows normally don't get below 65 and my highland sundews start to suffer. I might try the refrigerated water technique, or see if I can find some DIY options.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!