FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
Executing as in "I'm executing the plan".

Hello, this is a thread for my project to take and propagate leaf cuttings of my Drosera Intermedia.

THE PLAN:
I have a clean and empty plastic container I got from buying small cheesecakes. I also have another smaller container that appears to be a pudding container. I will use both, but I might not be able to use the cheesecake container because it seems that I have lost it.

I will fill the container 80% with RO water.

Next, I will cut some big healthy leaves from my drosera intermedia and put them in the water.

Then I will seal the container and wait.

Once roots and leaves have popped out, I will take them out and plant them in the same pot as the original intermedia.

Review please. Is this correct?
Last edited by Sakaaaaa on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Shadowtski
Sakaaaaa wrote:Hello, this is a thread for my project to take and propagate leaf cuttings of my Drosera Intermedia.

THE PLAN:
I have a clean and empty plastic container I got from buying small cheesecakes. I also have another smaller container that appears to be a pudding container. I will use both, but I might not be able to use the cheesecake container because it seems that I have lost it.

I will fill the container 80% with RO water.

Next, I will cut some big healthy leaves from my drosera intermedia and put them in the water.

Then I will seal the container and wait.

Once roots and leaves have popped out, I will take them out and plant them in the same pot as the original intermedia.

Review please. Is this correct?
Sounds good to me.
I usually wait to see the beginning of root development before I put my plantlets in soil.

Good growing,
Mike
By Sakaaaaa
Shadowtski wrote: Sounds good to me.
I usually wait to see the beginning of root development before I put my plantlets in soil.

Good growing,
Mike
Yes, that is what I'm doing :)
I will execute the plan tomorrow morning/evening
By mo_carnivore
In my opinion, striking leaf cuttings in water is the best way to go. You don't have to worry about mold or drying out of the leaves, although you sometimes get a bit of algae growth in the water. A quick water change will fix that though. You could wait for root formation--I've found that the only plant I've tried that doesn't like early transport from water to media is Drosera latifolia. All of the leaves eventually shrivelled, which probably could have been prevented if I had left them in water for a bit longer. However, capensis, spatulata, and graomogolensis both did splendidly with early transfer to media. You could try both ways.

Also, remember if you want to plant them in the same pot that you should bag the pots until the plantlets get established otherwise there are definitely going to be casualties.

Otherwise your plan seems pretty good! I love watching leaf cuttings grow. My graomogolensis are especially cute, with big dew droplets and a fuzzy center. Not to mention that they are already coloring up into a nice shade of red! Remember to feed as early as possible to get the fastest growth.
By Sakaaaaa
Huntsmanshorn wrote:Depending on water volume, you can add a few drops of chlorine bleach and that will help keep algae levels down.
No thanks :? . I don't think I'll need that.

Also, how much light should I give the cuttings? They are currently in part shade
By Sakaaaaa
mo_carnivore wrote:That's probably okay, better than them overheating. Once they strike though, you will probably want to move them to a cool bright area.
Thanks! There are currently 2 small intermedia leaves floating, I wasn't able to find any more good leaves that I could cut without ruining the display but I'll try harder tomorrow. What is the rate of strike for intermedia and how long should these take? I'll throw some affinis into there as well. Can affinis be root-cutted?
By mo_carnivore
Sakaaaaa wrote:
mo_carnivore wrote:That's probably okay, better than them overheating. Once they strike though, you will probably want to move them to a cool bright area.
Thanks! There are currently 2 small intermedia leaves floating, I wasn't able to find any more good leaves that I could cut without ruining the display but I'll try harder tomorrow. What is the rate of strike for intermedia and how long should these take? I'll throw some affinis into there as well. Can affinis be root-cutted?
I don't know about intermedia, but under good conditions you'll probably get several strikes per leaf. However, once they start growing up you may get some losses do to competition. Expect one or two plants per leaf.

Root cuttings work for D. affinis. If you want to get a few vigorous plants, place the root vertically in the pot. For more smaller plants, orient the root horizontally. Of you do the latter, expect several relatively fast-growing plants. You could also root them in water, basically same method as leaf cuttings.

Good luck!
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!