FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By PitBulMom
Hubby is thinking of buying an Orchid and he noticed a beautiful Deep Purple orchid at Walmart, but could find no species tag on it.
:?: :?: :?: :roll:
By Hungry Plants
They are Phalaenopsis crosses. Great Orchid to start with. Just don't over water it and as soon as all the flowers drop repot it. Look up some youtube vids on how to get it reblume after you repot.

Good luck.
By PitBulMom
Thanks Hungry! Going to do some more studying! He just left to go see if that Deep Purple one is still there! Gave him a shopping list with Pics of stuff I need for not only the Orchid, but for my Fly Traps! :p

My "Plant Room" is the front bedroom, which has East and South facing windows, and I tried to grow Herbs and it just didn't work, but so far with the help of a LED grow light seems to be doing good! I can control light and temp for both plants

I will try to post pics a little later so if you have advice as to what other improvements I can make!
By evenwind
PitBulMom wrote: My "Plant Room" is the front bedroom, which has East and South facing windows
Phals are considered to be "low light", so the East window should be fine.

I always suggest beginners go to the "source": http://www.aos.org/orchids/culture-shee ... opsis.aspx
evenwind liked this
By Hungry Plants
Phals are not low light as much as they don't like direct Light. What I do with my Phals(and they blume a few times a year for me)is I set them to the side of a bright window. If you have a nice bright window with room to the left or right of it and I do mean right next to it that would be a good place. The like bright indirect light. When all the flowers die off you'll want to report to a well draining pot. Do not use clay or something with large holes in the side. Why? Because the roots will attach to clay and make it vary hard to repot and large holes in in the side allow the roots to grow out them which makes it hard to repot. When it comes to a potting mix I like to use LFS and a good orchid mix with LG perlite and carole. Most of the bark in pre mixt is to large for me so I use garden clippers to cut it down to about half the size. I mix the LFS and orchid mix to about 1.1 not had mesher just eye ball it. Leave the the LFS dry makes it easier for potting. If the pot is a bit to deep you and put some broken up styrofoam in the bottom to save on potting mix. Put a good layer of mix in the pot. How deep? So that and roots that were still sticking out of the pot to begin with and still do so. After you get you high figured out you can start packing the mix in. You'll want to tuck it between all the roots till its full . You want it nice and firm so the plant doesn't move around in the pot. Now that its all set in its pot get a bode or what ever and soak the pot till everything is nice and wet. When you think it need water take your finger and stick it in the pot and push you finger down slightly if its still damp its good. when you do need to water just bring it to the sink and water it sort of on the slower side till water drains out the bottom. After that its rinse and repeat. Now to get it you reblume. After the flowers drop look down the stem. You'll be able to tell where a flower was . The nodes will be open. Find a node that is still closed. sarilis some nice sharp garden shears and clip the stem about an 1/8 of an inch above the node. You sterilise them to minimise bacterial infection. You can also put a little cinnamon where you cut it. Its a natural antiseptic. Any questions PM me and Ill do my best.
Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!