FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
ice2k15 wrote:90 in se louisiana

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
and steamy too. I didn't know you were from Louisiana. The nicest people in the world live in Louisiana. I experienced very friendly people from Baton Rouge all the way to Naw'lns. I loved the bayou living and restaurants in the swamps. And that French Creole. love it. Gambling is a trip. I didn't live there but I did a lot of work there for months.

should cool off this week.
By Fly Trap Hunter
ice2k15 wrote:yeah supposed to drop down to 80 as a high come sunday...but then back into mid to upper 80s after that

going to be in the mid-50s tonight. That's some nice Fall weather. I really just want to see the Fall fly trap colors... not so much that I want it to be cold out.
By Orit
we've had lows in the low 40s every night and almost daily rain here in Colorado. so the weather you're complaining about seems more like you're showing off by comparison. :lol:

we have beautiful fall colors in the trees, but as far as my flytraps, they are their standard colors plus some black and yellowing-turning to black. I am definitely seeing the start of dormancy in many of them. i was hoping for another few weeks with them in full swing. :cry: i know they need their sleep but i will miss my summer traps. plus I REALLY hate having to check the weather nightly to make sure we don't get a sudden 60 degree drop (typical colorado) that would kill/severely damage them.
Orit liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
Orit wrote:we've had lows in the low 40s every night and almost daily rain here in Colorado. so the weather you're complaining about seems more like you're showing off by comparison. :lol:

we have beautiful fall colors in the trees, but as far as my flytraps, they are their standard colors plus some black and yellowing-turning to black. I am definitely seeing the start of dormancy in many of them. i was hoping for another few weeks with them in full swing. :cry: i know they need their sleep but i will miss my summer traps. plus I REALLY hate having to check the weather nightly to make sure we don't get a sudden 60 degree drop (typical colorado) that would kill/severely damage them.
I thought you were boasting when you said you live in Colorado. :lol:
it would be cool to live there.
I talk about the weather mostly because the fly traps are native here. They are a perennial type plant that can handle forest fires and freezing temps. we are in zone 8, temps rarely get below 40F, but they do and the venus fly traps still live. It might freeze over night and be warm in the day. or freeze solid for a few weeks and that's about it.

Seems like Dec here is worse than jan but never know.

you are right. I'm bragging. I do have another month or 2 of growing season. I'm sorry you do not. I feel the same about missing my fly traps. mine have slowed down. I've decided I'm keeping a few under grow lights and putting the rest in dormancy when its time.(I have seeds to watch and divisions too small for dormancy) thing is if you live on an island in paradise, noboby will ever pity you. so I might as well brag. :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Fly Trap Hunter
Orit wrote:we've had lows in the low 40s every night and almost daily rain here in Colorado. so the weather you're complaining about seems more like you're showing off by comparison. :lol:
yea yall are having winter weather. I'm sorry. forgive me
By Orit
yeah we went straight from summer to winter. aside from the colors on the trees, which are gone in a flash, there has been no sign of fall this year.

enjoy your weather. nc is also a beautiful state!
By ice2k15
heres a question since we r discussing weather...do i need to acclimate new vfts and sundews regular even tho its been nonstop cloudy and or raining or can i just leave em out all day to acclimate them? plants in question r a king henry and d capensis

By Fly Trap Hunter
ice2k15 wrote:heres a question since we r discussing weather...do i need to acclimate new vfts and sundews regular even tho its been nonstop cloudy and or raining or can i just leave em out all day to acclimate them? plants in question r a king henry and d capensis

I got a fused tooth from fts and put it out full sun with the others and it has done great. I'm dealing with weird weather like cloudy for a week or cloudy and rainy for days also. Then full sun for days. It burns small plants and seedlings. The King Henry is tough and Id say just leave him out there. If you suddenly have a lot of sunny days, you might want to keep an eye on burning. The D. Capensis doesn't like as much direct light. I was told to put the drosera, very wet, in a clear plastic bag and sit in the sun for a week. Take it out and its full of dew. I'm trying that with spatulata. Probably going to try the capensis also. Mike Shadowski said to bag it. ;)

I've been taking my fly traps around to front of house and then back to the back yard and they get 4 more hours of light than if left in the back all day. my traps get 10 hrs sun now.
By Fly Trap Hunter
Orit wrote:yeah we went straight from summer to winter. aside from the colors on the trees, which are gone in a flash, there has been no sign of fall this year.

enjoy your weather. nc is also a beautiful state!
we mostly have long leaf pines near the coast. We have to go to the mountains to see Fall colors. Oct 15 is usually peak season. Today its 100% humidity and high of 80F. when I mention weather, its mostly because what the fly traps are dealing with. I got some sundews. you can grow them all Winter long and have something to watch. I got a few Spatulatas and a Natelinsis Big Pink. They are smaller than a dime but fun to watch. you could put in a window sill maybe?
spats
spats
IMG_7054.JPG (157.75 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
nate and spat
nate and spat
IMG_7055.JPG (278.79 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
Fly Trap Hunter liked this
By Orit
Fly Trap Hunter wrote: you could put in a window sill maybe?
:lol: that might be a challenge for me at this point.
20171008_213441-1.jpg
20171008_213441-1.jpg (164.09 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
Expecting a low of 30 tonight here with several inches of snow by morning. Got the majority of my flytraps tucked in an oversized cooler outside with about 40 oz of hot water and a thermometer. this is an experiment to help me figure out whether they can stay like that when it gets *really* cold or if they'll need to be moved to the garage. leaving them outside would be much more convenient and i could open the lid and give them sun on many days. i know freeze/thaw cycles are a problem so I'm trying to keep them above freezing. we had a high of 75 today and will be back in the 70s in a few days. typical colorado mood swings that will continue.

and thank you, it is helpful knowing what weather they're supposed to get. hope we'll make it through winter okay. the ones on the windowsill are tropical plants, seedlings, pots that wouldn't fit in the cooler, or others that I want to baby. I am giving a few to a friend soon, so maybe I can pick up a few more sundews. yours are beautiful.
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!