FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Shelilla
These have been poking up in my finlaysoniana pots lately. I noticed a lot of the seedlings have been dying and seemed to be surrounded by these things...not sure what they are. They came up quickly and spread roots fast. I plucked a bunch because I didn't like the way they were taking over the pot.

They've been poking up as individual sprouts, no roots attaching them all together.
The pot's been a mess of algae and mold lately so it's no surprise to see more but this pot is the only one that is that bad.
IMG_2398.JPG
IMG_2398.JPG (483.6 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
I have some questions if anyone knows what these are:
A. What are they?
B. Are they harmful to my drosera seedlings?
C. If so, any recommendations on what to do about them?

Thanks,
Shelilla
By mo_carnivore
A. I'm pretty sure they're moss. I also have that type growing in a few of my pots, it seems pretty common.
B. I don't know. They don't seem to be harmful to adult plants, but I would suspect that they could do some harm to young seedlings.
C. If they haven't set spores yet, you could probably get rid of it by pulling it all out... I'm not that experienced with getting rid of moss, but that seems like a good start. Did you rinse the substrate? That's probably the best preventative measure for moss, mold, algae, etc.

I hope some of this advice helps.
mo_carnivore liked this
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!