FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ryanod 1
Hi Everyone,

I was looking to see if I can post a few pics to get help with my VFT? I purchased my first one about 5ish months ago. It was growing great once I found a good spot for it, and it was producing traps very quickly. We have a sun window at the house, and two of the windows roll out. So the plant seemed happy as far as sun, air movement, and plenty of water. I have heard that plant traps generally show a reddish hue if the plant itself is healthy? My biggest issue is with conflicting info on the internet so this seemed like a great place to ask.

Anyways, The VFT was producting traps on a constant basis in June/July where at one point I had 11 traps out of this little container. The trap sizes were bigger every time. The issue is the plant is no longer producting traps. Im not sure I have seen any new ones in a month. So I wanted to list a few differing factors to see if someone can pin point why the plant has slowed down. Please remember that I am a new owner of this trap, and all experience was gained through reading beforehand, and also learning on the fly. So I appologize for any dumb questions/comments. This list is a mix of issues that "I" believe is or could be the issue. Thank you to everyone in advance for any help! I want to make sure I dont kill the plant due to my own stupidity. Not saying im stupid, but even smart people do stupid things. Its not fair to the plant that I don't ask so its much appreciated!

P.S. When would you recommend I start my winter dormancy? I feel like looking at the plant may tell you if its time? It will be a basement dweller for the season haha.

EDIT: This is a King Henry. I am sure that is very relevant regarding the nature of each trap.

1. Plant is slowing down due to colder conditions (It is getting towards the fall)
2. A flower grew about 5 weeks ago, and Immediately cut low when I recognized it. Cut too low? Maybe used too much energy from combined factors?
3. I cut the plant low as possible when it even starts to turn black. This applies to Trap and leaf. Would this kill them? I assumed this meant less energy on a bad trap, and eliminates potential for rot.
4. We purchased a new central air system which lowers overall humidity in the house. Are the plants pretty resilient or are they going to slow down in lower humidity OR/AND lower house temp than they are used to.
5. Potentially some kind of mold in pot im missing?
6. Never Transplanted so the pot may be too small? I have heard that plants should never have more than maybe 7 traps (cant remember where read or exact number) then it is most likely two plants? That could be overcrowding.
7. Not quite enough sun or too much water. It does get artificial light every night because its under our security light.
8. They ate too much. This one I dont believe is likely, but I guess it can be a porker haha. Never hand fed.
9. I used a little plastic cup to hold the plant leaves up higher. It was a kind of solo cup that is opaque, and it just happened to fit well around it. I cut the top section of the cup ring to hold them up. I figured it was better if the traps dont face down or on the ground. Could this do anything? I can elaborate if its not understood. Basically a higher extension to the pot itself.
10. Could be perfectly fine, and im asking stupid questions. You will see in the pics that theres green mossy grass growing, but I didnt think this was bad.
Attachments:
2017-09-27 23.29.58.jpg
2017-09-27 23.29.58.jpg (928.76 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
2017-09-27 23.29.52-1.jpg
2017-09-27 23.29.52-1.jpg (769.18 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
2017-09-27 23.30.07-1.jpg
2017-09-27 23.30.07-1.jpg (599.69 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
2017-09-27 23.29.37.jpg
2017-09-27 23.29.37.jpg (623.05 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
By Fly Trap Hunter
Welcome. its Fall in the Northern hemisphere. a lot say put plant into dormancy at 40F but try not to freeze. but ive seen frozen ones come back. your plant needs light. its ok to be in that much water as long as the green leaves don't just sit in water. The cup keeps the vft from getting air flow at its base. Id raise the soil level to at or above the cup rim. moss is cool. your plant looks like mine after I cut the flower stem. Its probably making a few divisions.

raise soil a little. try to let it dry out to moist and back to soaking in it. I wouldn't leave in standing water all the time. get it as much sun as possible and prepare for dormancy.

Where do you live?
By KategoricalKarnivore
That plant needs a lot more light. It should be outside in full sun.
By Fieldofscreams
Do not remove traps until they are completely black and crunchy all the way down to the rhizome. The plant needs the energy from the dying leafs and retracts that energy until the leaf is completely dead all the way to the rhizome.
By Ryanod 1
Thank you all for the help! Sorry for the delay. I didnt know I got posts already. I live in NH so the weather can be very inconsistent. We went from rain for 6 days, to fall weather and this week is 90 degrees or so. I didnt want to put the plant out due to the varying conditions. I know they are outside plants from the Carolinas I believe, but the weather here is different. I think the general consensus is more light! It seems to get a bunch of sun along with being all night under a light bulb (not close enough to effect temp). It also seems to get most of its bugs inside. So consistent temp, light and overall conditions seemed to be the best option. Obviously I was wrong. We had the VFT for maybe 3 months before AC so it was used to the house. I thought 90+ degrees, even slowly, was worse than being inside. I shall move the plant out, but there is a freeze coming this weekend so ill need to stay on top of that.

As for the soil I will grab some silica sand and the moss to raise. I had no idea om cutting the plant! This is where conflicting research hurt me. People were saying any black then cut. Its usually black from eating something too big or not closing correctly which can grow bacteria apparently. So I will wait longer. On top of bacteria I also thought the plant was wasting energy on a dying plant.

Thank you to all posters again. This info is invaluable. I should have a happy VFT again soon!
Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!