FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By nancykarst
OK. Well, one thing I was doing was moving Chompy constantly and I read that moving them around wasn't good for them. So I found one spot where he gets the morning sun and left him there. I haven't noticed any of the new traps dying, so hopefully he will be okay
By nancykarst
Fieldofscreams wrote:What do you mean you were moving him around?
We would put him in the back yard in the morning when the sun came up. Then we put him in the front yard around 1 pm when the sun was in the front of the house, then bringing him in at night. So now I just have him in the back yard where he gets the direct morning sun, but we just leave him outside all the time now.
By nancykarst
Benurmanii wrote:I noticed you mentioned that you would mist the media when the moss seeded dry. My guess is that this was not actually getting enough of the media inside the pot wet, and he has been growing a little too much on the dry side.
I set him in a bowl of distilled water for about 30 minutes a day in addition to spraying him
By Fly Trap Hunter
I know you are already leaving Chompy outside... I can see why you would bring Chompy in at night. He/she is a part of the family. But plants rely on the sun to communicate with it. It gets really confused when we mess with the light. Its like jetlag for plants. you can grow inside with grow lights and completely flip the sunlight hours, have your plants grow at night and not regular daytime. But you would still have to keep it at a natural sunlight setting with a timer. 12 hr day/ 12 hr night or something normal and consistent. We are all still learning.
By nancykarst
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:I know you are already leaving Chompy outside... I can see why you would bring Chompy in at night. He/she is a part of the family. But plants rely on the sun to communicate with it. It gets really confused when we mess with the light. Its like jetlag for plants. you can grow inside with grow lights and completely flip the sunlight hours, have your plants grow at night and not regular daytime. But you would still have to keep it at a natural sunlight setting with a timer. 12 hr day/ 12 hr night or something normal and consistent. We are all still learning.
He is part of the family, so I hate to think about him all alone outside in the dark. But it is still warm and he's protected. I'm so bad with plants. His friend Cho II died the other day. I made the mistake of thinking Cho II needed to go outside and get some sun, and he got sunburned. (He was a Kalancho). But in all seriousness, I really want to keep Chompy alive so I'm looking into getting a plant light and just keeping him inside.
By Fly Trap Hunter
Sounds like Chompy and friend will be fine.
vfts are a perennial type plant and need a Winter dormancy to survive(a break from growing). 1st year plants will live without a dormancy for first year but need one the 2nd year. I'm thinking about doing a short inside dormancy, but I live where fly traps grow in the wild, so temps are ideal, I guess, for vfts. It will frost in eastern nc in nov and dec. sometimes super cold in January. but people plant vegetables outside in feb. It doesn't get below freezing here except a few months(of course that varies). we are in zone 8, perfect for carnivorous plants outside. But people still bring them in for dormancy.

Ive got to figure out something for dormancy as well. Ive accumulated a bunch of fly traps, hundreds even. yeicks. what have I done? :lol:
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!