FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By PetroleumJunkie412
So... I think I made a mistake.

Mixed up 150 mL of seed sterilizing solution. Solution was 1/2 strength M&S with vitamins, RO H20, 12mL PPM, and 1mL Tween 20.

Must have missed that part about Tween 20 not being autoclaveable.

Solution was autoclaved at 23 psi for 15 mins.

Now I have a weird yellow-orange clump of granules at the bottom of the vessel. Hm.

Anyone know if this is safe to use? Or should I chuck it and start again? I'd hate to toss $25 worth of PPM, especially because I don't have enough on hand to make up another batch of seed sanitizer.

Also, bleach/alcohol is a really bad option for my seed. Could be instant death if I attempt to wing it with either (N. Ampullaria). I have never used the bleach/alcohol method, and do not want to make my first attempt tonight... :mrgreen:
By SnapSnapIOM
Mixed up 150 mL of seed sterilizing solution. Solution was 1/2 strength M&S with vitamins, RO H20, 12mL PPM, and 1mL Tween 20.

I think you have read it wrong how to sterilise seeds and making the MS ? it seems to me you have made the process together ?

You use 10%-20% bleach depending on what your sterilizing with a drop of tween 20 for soaking the x-plant or seed soak for between 6-10mins again depending if seed or x-plant.

If you have used 12ml (hopefully this was a typo?) of ppm cough i think you have over done it lol its 1 ml normally per ? what size mix you are making.

If i was you i would re read matts great tissue culture FAQ again

Hope this helps
SnapSnapIOM liked this
By PetroleumJunkie412
SnapSnapIOM wrote: You use 10%-20% bleach depending on what your sterilizing with a drop of tween 20 for soaking the x-plant or seed soak for between 6-10mins again depending if seed or x-plant.

If you have used 12ml (hopefully this was a typo?) of ppm cough i think you have over done it lol its 1 ml normally per ? what size mix you are making.

If i was you i would re read matts great tissue culture FAQ again

Hope this helps
The bleach method with N. Ampullaria seed is typically instant-death for them. They are a bit of a jerk when it comes to getting them clean pre-culture; bleach or a 70% iso treatment kills them, and to top it all off, they are always riddled with fungus. Granted, the normal amount of PPM for pre-treatment is 15-20 mL/L, but I opted for a higher dosage in an attempt to reduce my soak time (soaked for four hours), and the seed is a tad old.

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!