FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By nancykarst
I am a little worried about Chompy. I have been putting him in the sun like I am supposed to and watering him like the directions said to, but he seems to be losing so many traps. I'm really worried. Now, the biggest, healthiest trap is starting to brown a little ImageImage

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
By riveraXVX
couple quick questions, where are you/what are teh temperatures like currently?

how long have you had the plant? (how long has it been outdoors for/do you keep it outdoors?)

also what type of water?

this time of year a lot of areas it is the time where plants begin going dormant and you will see the plants "regress" a bit
By Matt
riveraXVX wrote:this time of year a lot of areas it is the time where plants begin going dormant and you will see the plants "regress" a bit
This is the most likely answer. Most of our flytraps are already starting to shed some of their larger summer leaves.
By nancykarst
riveraXVX wrote:couple quick questions, where are you/what are teh temperatures like currently?

how long have you had the plant? (how long has it been outdoors for/do you keep it outdoors?)

also what type of water?

this time of year a lot of areas it is the time where plants begin going dormant and you will see the plants "regress" a bit
We got him on August 21. We live in Central Kansas, so I put him outside in the morning to begin with to get him acclimated to the sunlight. Slowly we began leaving him outside longer. We use distilled water, or rain water to water him with. He is now outside all the time. He was a spot in the backyard where the sunlight is morning/early afternoon sunlight. My husband and I argue about how much water he needs. All the directions I have read say to let the plant sit in water for 30 minutes to one hour, so that is what I do, plus I spray with distilled water if the moss seams dryer than usual. I don't know if the heat or sun is burning him, or what. I am doing everything I can to keep this plant alive, but it just seems like a losing battle. :(
By nancykarst
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:you have a lot of new growth but your older growth is yellowing. looks light deficient to me. How much direct sunlight does it get? are you keeping water in the tray?
He is outside all day. I let the pot sit in distilled water for 30-60 minutes daily. Today it rained REALLY hard, like so hard this stream that I haven't seen water in for like 30 years was full. Normally it is pretty dry, though. I spray him with distilled water when the moss seems dry. I feel like maybe the sun is burning him, but I know he needs light, so I don't know what to do. My husband and I keep arguing about it because he says I am over-watering, but I think the plant isn't getting enough water. UGH!!! I am doing everything I can to keep this little guy alive!! I love him!! (Don't judge. I don't have any pets and my life is pretty boring)
By nancykarst
Matt wrote:
riveraXVX wrote:this time of year a lot of areas it is the time where plants begin going dormant and you will see the plants "regress" a bit
This is the most likely answer. Most of our flytraps are already starting to shed some of their larger summer leaves.
We live in Central Kansas, USA. Should I be thinking of having him go dormant now?
By Fly Trap Hunter
Fieldofscreams wrote:If it has new growth it's not dying. It's fine.

Most likely going dormant, shedding off old growth.
I'm not sure about watering in Kansas. I know you can keep water in the trays all the time if zone 8 or above. I agree its pale and likely going dormant. You might read the forums for what to do for dormancy. I know vfts don't like it freezing or less than 40F and they love a lot of sunlight. But this time of year, the sun is at an angle where the plant thinks/knows its time to go dormant.
(for me, I only have 1 small dog and was thinking about getting another 1 just in case I lose this one. Maybe you need 2 fly traps or a whole family.) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought it odd when my neighbor got a 2nd dog. But now, I have seen him lose 2 and he seems to adjust ok and it makes sense.
By nancykarst
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
Fieldofscreams wrote:If it has new growth it's not dying. It's fine.

Most likely going dormant, shedding off old growth.
I'm not sure about watering in Kansas. I know you can keep water in the trays all the time if zone 8 or above. I agree its pale and likely going dormant. You might read the forums for what to do for dormancy. I know vfts don't like it freezing or less than 40F and they love a lot of sunlight. But this time of year, the sun is at an angle where the plant thinks/knows its time to go dormant.
(for me, I only have 1 small dog and was thinking about getting another 1 just in case I lose this one. Maybe you need 2 fly traps or a whole family.) :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought it odd when my neighbor got a 2nd dog. But now, I have seen him lose 2 and he seems to adjust ok and it makes sense.
Oh, we are definitely going to get another VFT next spring!!!
By nancykarst
We are in zone 6a. It gets very hot in the summer, but very cold in the winter. We are making plans for bringing Chompy into the garage for dormancy. We have one window in the garage, but it is North facing. I'm wondering if I should buy a plant light and put him in his little corner with the plant light. We can monitor the temperature in the garage.
By Fieldofscreams
I'm also in zone 6a and my plan is to bring them into my garage and put them under my desk lamp/6500k CFLs on an astro timer from Menards.

I also happen to have a digital thermostat that can monitor the temp. I can watch it from inside the house.
By nancykarst
Fieldofscreams wrote:I'm also in zone 6a and my plan is to bring them into my garage and put them under my desk lamp/6500k CFLs on an astro timer from Menards.

I also happen to have a digital thermostat that can monitor the temp. I can watch it from inside the house.
Yeah, we have a digital thermometer too. Those are nice!! When are you planning on bringing your plant into your garage?
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!