FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By JJ_cp04
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anybody could help me with care for my new orchid. I’ve never owned an orchid before, so I’m not too familiar with their care. My plan is to put it over a humidity tray with a small desk lamp and a 5000k led or cfl above it, do you think that would work? If that will work, should I use cfl or led? I’ve read that you need to keep it somewhere where the temp drops 10-15 degrees at night, but I can’t do that so is that fine? I also don’t know if I should repot it or not. Im not sure how to water it too.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Hungry Plants
Its a phalaenopsis no need to stress. Keep it in bright indirect light. Don't repot it till all the flowers drop as reporting it might shock it and it will drop them anyway. Let it dry out a bit but not completely . Bring it to the sink and run water through it and put it back. You will know its getting too much/little light by the color of the leaves. Dark leaves not enough. Bright green to much. they should be a nice grass green color
Hungry Plants liked this
By JJ_cp04
Hungry Plants wrote:Its a phalaenopsis no need to stress. Keep it in bright indirect light. Don't repot it till all the flowers drop as reporting it might shock it and it will drop them anyway. Let it dry out a bit but not completely . Bring it to the sink and run water through it and put it back. You will know its getting too much/little light by the color of the leaves. Dark leaves not enough. Bright green to much. they should be a nice grass green color
thanks! So do you think the 5000k led or the 5000k florescent would work? I have a north window in my room so I can’t put it there.

By Hungry Plants
It could but I've never used light with any of my orchids. If you have any place to the side of the window that would work great or on the other sid of the room in front of the window.
By JJ_cp04
Hungry Plants wrote:It could but I've never used light with any of my orchids. If you have any place to the side of the window that would work great or on the other sid of the room in front of the window.
I only have one window in my room and it’s north facing. So do you mean I could grow it by the window if I put it right next to it?
By Hungry Plants
Yes just to the left or right of the window so it get plenty of light but not direct light. It will be vary happy there
By FLTropical
Yep - phals are full shade plants. They burn very easy. Also make sure that pot drains, and don't overwater. Their roots rot easy. Better too dry than too wet.

By Sakaaaaa
FLTropical wrote:Yep - phals are full shade plants. They burn very easy. Also make sure that pot drains, and don't overwater. Their roots rot easy. Better too dry than too wet.

Not sure that I can agree with the first statement. Not all phals are full shade. My phal does absolutely great in part shade. There are tons of species of phals, but yes, the most common, Phal. Amabilis and such are full shade.

I'm also not fully agreeing about the second statement but hey, I grow mine on a tree, and I'm pretty sure trees are different than pots. Oh and also, I bet there are phals growing wild in Merapi (A volcano pretty close to me), and we have a big rainy season here, so yeah.

But again, differences :roll:
By JJ_cp04
Thanks for the help everyone! I’ll try growing it next to the window and if that doesn’t work I can try putting it under my lamp.

By FLTropical
I know. But it's a hybrid from a florist, grocery, or hardware store. And being grown indoors. In a pot. And it's the OP's first. I grow them on trees too, but not everyone lives in the tropics, and everyone starts somewhere.

By FLTropical
JJ_cp04 wrote:Thanks for the help everyone! I’ll try growing it next to the window and if that doesn’t work I can try putting it under my lamp.

Glad we could help!

By xr280xr
JJ_cp04 wrote:So do you think the 5000k led or the 5000k florescent would work? I have a north window in my room so I can’t put it there.
Yes, I use a 5000k HO t5 over mine. It's not required but helps them grow faster.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!