FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By KategoricalKarnivore
Hey Bob do you have any experience with Texas holey rock like this. I have a few chunks I would love to grow pings on.
Attachments:
IMG_4152.JPG
IMG_4152.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 4043 times
By KategoricalKarnivore
Raistlarn wrote:Isn't that the kind of rock that you can find next to the ocean on some places? If so I'd probably avoid it, because of salt accumulation.
No its limestone that has been underground for thousands or maybe millions of years. It's left over remnants from the ocean that used to cover the middle of the US. The holes are from water slowly dissolving the rock away over thousands of years. There are a few areas in the middle of Texas where this rock is now exposed on the surface. It is used in freshwater aquariums all the time. No left over salts in it.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Ah cool. Thanks for the response. Ever heard of people using it for pings?
By Raistlarn
Has anyone tried Feather Rock? Here is the description from a landscape site: Feather Rock is charcoal and silver grey in color with a sharp, course texture and irregular shape. They are products of a rare volcanic occurrence, formed by a molten lava flow which trapped air that later escaped during the cooling stage.
By Bob Beer
I'm trying it now. Evidently there are a couple of different things that get called feather rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Bob Beer
Oops my bad, the other one I'm trying is lace rock. It's a lot heavier than pumice and actually refers to a couple of different things. It doesn't wick quite as effectively as pumice but it holds water quite well. I think a growth of moss on it would help the water wick farther up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!