FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Bob Beer
Depends on what kind of rock. The black or red lava rock looks very porous but in my experience it doesn't really hold water effectively, so you'd have to drill it and fill with medium. If it's pumice then it will often wick the water all the way through and you'll get a nice growth of moss in time. Some orchids might be nice, also Tillandsias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
If you drill holes in it and fill them with media, small sundews and bladderworts will do well. If you want plants that grow /on/ the rock, orchids and other epiphytes are your best bet. Christmas cactus is an epiphytic cactus that would probably look cool.
By Fishkeeper
It would depend on the bladderwort species, how many holes the rock has, and how wet you kept the rock. If the rock was almost like lace rock and had a network of holes all through it, and you kept it wet enough, the bladderwort could probably creep all through the rock. Especially if you kept it wet enough for moss to grow all over the rock and provide substrate for the bladderworts. If it didn't have any way to get anywhere, it'd stay in the hole.
By Bob Beer
For pumice, call your nearest landscaping rock supplier.

By Bob Beer
Dang. But I've had such good luck with pumice (and bad with scoria) that it's definitely worth looking for. You can ask about "feather rock" too. Right now I'm experimenting with lace rock but it's early to say anything for sure.

Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!