FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By saltyop
just wanted to hear thoughts on this video. the comments are disabled for some reason so i thought there was a good place to discuss it. I've heard that keeping the green on is beneficial for the plant but in this video it recommends the opposite. maybe im missing something here? I dunno haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCteyXmaXwA
saltyop liked this
By xr280xr
I think he greatly reduced the chances of that plant surviving by doing that to it.

Pulling leaves off can help if you are dealing with rot. You want to remove all of the rotten tissue because otherwise it will spread like an infection. But all but one of the pieces he pulled off were a live, functioning part of the plant! He could've planted those pullings and probably gotten a new plant from each one, but if he left them attached, the plant would probably grow back larger, faster. The little green nub he refers to is the central growth point and doesn't need the outer leaves removed to grow.

If that had been my plant, I would've just rinsed it off and put it in NZ (or similar) sphagnum.
xr280xr, xr280xr, xr280xr liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
I agree. All of those leaves were alive and should not have been removed. As long as the rhizome is white it's alive. That plant was nowhere near dead.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!