FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Sukielol
I went to petco the other day to buy some items with a friend who owns a dog and fishes. When I went to look at live feeder insects, I found some sphagnum moss in the reptile section. As I looked, there were different brands of it. Can I use any of these for my vft? Or should I get it elsewhere? The "New Zealand Sphagnum Moss" seems to greatly resemble the moss in the flytrap store.
Attachments:
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG (936.81 KiB) Viewed 5729 times
IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 5729 times
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG (889.01 KiB) Viewed 5729 times
By Shadowtski
New Zealand Sphagnum is considered to be about the best class of Sphagnum for CPs. Just check it for weeds and debris before you use it.

I personally use NZ Sphagnum. My only complaint is that it is usually loaded with tiny grass seeds. They sprout and you get hopeful that there's some exotic New Zealand Bladderwort that hitch-hiked along and it turns out to be nothing but dumb old !@#$%^&*()OP(I*U&Y^ grass.

Good growing,
Mike
By riveraXVX
spagmoss/besgrow you can get 10L and I think the larger size is 40L packages the 10L brick I bought two months go I think I paid around $7PPD for

anywhere from there up to about $10 seemed normal to me at the time looking around.
riveraXVX liked this
By riveraXVX
nimbulan wrote:They actually sell 80L, 240L, and even 1200L packages of Spagmoss too. The more you buy, the better the deal is. It just depends on how much you'll use.
that rules, I don't suspect I'll be anywhere near that level anytime soon though!!

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!