FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
A falling lamp knocked a leaf off my P. emarginata, but the leaf broke off cleanly at the base, so I've decided to try and get it to strike. I'm also hoping to get it to grow onto a piece of highly porous lava rock so I can eventually put that in another setup.

I currently have the rock in one of those little glass globe terrariums, with plenty of dead LFSM around it to keep moisture up. There's a bit of live sphagnum on top of the rock, then the leaf on top of that, with the cut base touching the moss but not buried in it. The live moss is wicking up water, so it'll stay constantly wet. I have a piece of plastic resting lightly over the main opening of the terrarium, so it's not air-tight, but it's close. My hope is that the leaf will strike, and the little baby will root into the moss first, and then eventually grow roots down through it and latch onto the rock.

Anything in particular I need to do, aside from keeping the moisture high without getting the leaf itself wet?
By Bob Beer
I would just start trying by setting the leaf on a typical Mexican Ping medium with the tip touching the medium but not buried. A little extra humidity is good for a leaf but don't overdo it. You don't want it wet or steamy; it could lead to rot.

Once you get a plant or plants and they are growing some leaves and roots, then see if you can get it established on the rock. Is there any other moss on the rock? I use pumice and it naturally grows moss (not sphagnum). I have some cyclosectas that are growing on that moss, but my attempt at getting pullings to strike directly on the rock/moss didn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!