FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Orit
I'm getting to the point where I think I should start making my own CP-safe water. I collected snow over the winter and spring (which is time consuming and messy), but summers are pretty dry. I know nothing about RO systems and water distillers so was hoping for a recommendation for cheap(ish) solution. We have very hard water. Would very much appreciate any guidance on what I can do at home, or if I should just keep buying it given how much I use. I would estimate usage at roughly a gallon per week at most.
By tannerm
Get a distiller. Close to $200 on amazon and at only 1 gallon a week, it’ll last a lifetime. I’ve run mine 2 times a day for the past year and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tannerm liked this
By Raistlarn
Get a 75gpd ro filter from bulk reef supply. If you have chloramines in your water you'll need a carbon block. Do not get a di filter(de-ionization), because di resin is a pia to pack. Accessories I would recommend for an ro filter are: a pressure gauge (preferably an oil filled one), a handheld TDS meter, and a membrane flush valve. I'd also recommend a vertical unit so you can add more stages later if you like.

Then again I just saw you use only a gallon a week. At that rate I would just buy the water. At least until you start having to use 10+ gallons a week.
Raistlarn liked this
By Orit
I've probably come close to doubling my CPs since this post. :) there is a highly rated RO system for $180 on amazon i have my eye on (was looong for distillers and saw it costs the same as a good one but more convenient and we can use it for ourselves as well). just got to get the husband to install a sink, outdoor lights, and a few other things, and then i can buy it for him to install. I keep to traditional gender roles in very few things, plumbing being one.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!