FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By ally_
I am wanting to re-pot my VFT and having ALOT of trouble finding silica/ quartz sand in Australia.
Does anyone know what I can use as an alternative, or if silica is a 'must have' when re-potting?

Thank you!!
By Shadowtski
Silica sand is commonly used as a filter media in swimming pool filters. Try looking in a pool/spa supply store.

A commonly used substitute material is Perlite. But be careful when buying this.
Read the ingredients label and make sure there is no fertilizer or nutrients added.

Good growing,
Mike
By nimbulan
You can use any material as long it's inert. Perlite is common here in the US and while it's not a direct replacement for sand, it's fine for VFTs. I've used recycled glass (basically old beer bottles crushed into sand) and you might have other types of sand available locally that are inert.

Don't just look for sand for construction or horticultural use though - look for companies that sell abrasives (sandblasting.) A local abrasives company is the only place I can get sand that's coarser than dust here, and it's pretty cheap to boot.
By ally_
I have gone online to see if any pool stores have it, but no luck... maybe I will go in myself to see.

Can you use pertile as well as silica, mixed with peat moss and sprinkle some sphagnum on top too?
By Fishkeeper
If you have perlite, you don't need the silica.

I'd suggest a mix of sphagnum and perlite, but peat/perlite will work as well.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!