FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By saltyop
I gotta say I wasn't the brightest kid in science and I'm confused to as how the seed bank lists Dionea typical seeds and Dionea mixed variety seeds? I hear that every seed grown flytrap is a typical so I gotta say I'm stumped on how they work
By KategoricalKarnivore
That just means the seeds came from different cultivars or like red VFTs. They're not all from "typicals". You will only get "typicals" out of the seeds unless you grow one that you then register as a cultivar.
By saltyop
does the seeds gathered from a red flytrap have a higher chance of propagating a red one? whats the point of listing them separately, i swear last question I should have paid more attention in class wew
By KategoricalKarnivore
Technically speaking you should get a higher ratio of red flytraps from seeds from a red flytrap. I think it's usually around 20% or less though.
By Shadowtski
These seeds were from cultivar crosses or self-pollination of cultivars.

For example "Akai Ryu" x "Akai Ryu" would likely be a Red flytrap very similar to the registered cultivar parents. But it won't be an "Akai Ryu". A cross between two B52s would be correctly labeled as VFT "B52" x "B52". It would probably be a big flytrap.

These seeds should produce interesting Flytraps and if they are unique enough, they can be registered as a new cultivar.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!