FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dewy the Sundew
Hi everyone, I recenty got a beautiful heliamphora minor which already has some new pitchers forming. I have it in top layer live sphagnum and full akadama,so it is very well draining, plus the tray is tilted so the water will flow to the other pots of sphagnum that takes up the water, so most of the time, the bottom of the pot has very little to no water. I water it once a day, my temps are 28 to 35(max but more commonly 32 below) in the day and 23 to 26 celcius at night. I mist them very often. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
(i have grown helis b4, but died in a week to a few months, all to root rot as the media it cane in holds water quite well.)

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk
By corky
I only grow a couple ot helis and would of thought your temps were more of a problem than the drainage, I've kept mine in an inch of water for extended periods with no problem at all , I'm sure most will disagree but most people repeat what they've heard/read with no first hand experience. I've grown them like this for a couple of years and they've flowered and grown well enough for my liking but my temps are much cooler
By Dewy the Sundew
tannerm wrote:Even 32 is too hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its my climate. Singapore temps are too warm. I can't even build a HL chamber nor do i have air conditioning. I could build a HL chamber but I am not sure what cooling i could use within my budget.

By tannerm
Dewy the Sundew wrote:

Its my climate. Singapore temps are too warm. I can't even build a HL chamber nor do i have air conditioning. I could build a HL chamber but I am not sure what cooling i could use within my budget.

Something like this (I think you can find one for half that price too) Evapolar Personal Air Cooler + Humidifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS6WAS1/

By aarolar
tannerm wrote:
Dewy the Sundew wrote:

Something like this (I think you can find one for half that price too) Evapolar Personal Air Cooler + Humidifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS6WAS1/

Have you personally used one of these? Does it actually cool the air or rely on evaporative cooling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
By slinx
They can take serious heat during the day, but I'm not entirely sure if they will manage long term with those night temperatures. It's certainly possible, I just don't know. You can keep them wetter as corky said, but I don't think you're really doing anything wrong. Let us know how it goes, if they die or thrive or just survive. Too many rumours and not enough first hand experiences going round for these plants.
aarolar wrote:
tannerm wrote:Something like this (I think you can find one for half that price too) Evapolar Personal Air Cooler + Humidifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS6WAS1/

Have you personally used one of these? Does it actually cool the air or rely on evaporative cooling.

Going by the name...
By aarolar
Completely worthless down here in the south then, the search goes on.

By corky
Don't forget there's a lowland species , Heliamphora ciliata maybe worth a try if you can get one
By Dewy the Sundew
HeliamphoraWalnut wrote:Or, if you have he time or effort, provide temp drops by putting frozen water bottles in the tank every night, then refreezing it in the morning.
Yep currently doing that. Temps drop to 22 and 23 celcius at night. I built an intermediate terrarium for the heli and my intermediate neps.

By Dewy the Sundew
corky wrote:Don't forget there's a lowland species , Heliamphora ciliata maybe worth a try if you can get one
I've heard of it. No sure where to get 1 though.

Hello, New to the forum

I wish! These are city slicker deer. No hunting […]

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!