FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By riveraXVX
I would not worry about adding any humidity at all -- I'd consider it almost a myth at this point they do well in higher humidities, but once they adjust to their climates they are generally good to go. they are pretty good at adapting to their surroundings so long as they aren't moved from one extreme to another quickly
By Nick
Putting a cup over your pot will make the temperatures skyrocket if you are growing outdoors. They call this setup a "death cube" for a reason.

As the others have said, VFTs are very adaptable to different humidity levels as long as they are fairly consistent. Good sun, proper soil/media and water are their primary requirements for a healthy plant.
By lilpat575
ok thanks guys new to all of this now i know this ain't the best setup but i am using these lamps with with my philips led the plant on the round pot i got from wal mart some of the traps were turning black already i've been using distilled water should i repot the one from wal mart? one of the traps are a baby dente the other is a low giant flytrap not sure the one from wal mart the two you see in the back i just got them today there were shipped should i feed them? or are they ok what do i feed the baby flytrap?
By Fishkeeper
The one from wal-mart is a "typical", since it didn't come with a cultivar label. Yes, you should absolutely repot it, the soil is probably contaminated.

Don't feed your new plants for at least a week. When they're all settled in, you can feed them freeze-dried bloodworms, which can be bought at any pet store in the fish food section.
By lilpat575
ok thanks is my light set up good for them for now i don't get much sunlight in my apartment so this is the best i can do for them for now till i can find a better light set up i'm from new mexico i turned them off around 8:00pm my time which is when the sun goes down but i just got the lighting today so i had them in the light since 12:30 Pm took the baby vft off at 7:00 PM tomorrow i will turn the lights back on at 8 and turn them off at 5:00PM ?
By Nick
Get a timer outlet :lol: I give my plants ~14 hour photoperiod under LED.

They are less than 10 bucks on Amazon. You should also probably look into getting a small fan to improve airflow.
By DesertPat
Like Nick says having your lights on a timer will simplify your growing a lot. I use a 14 hour photoperiod during the summer as well and my plants are happy.

For feeding just use rehydrated freezedried bloodworm that you pat dry before feeding. I would stay away from Omega One brand, they have vitamin E added which I suspect has killed my traps in the past. Good luck with em!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By lilpat575
thanks guys i have a fan in my room not a ceiling fan but one thats on the ground i'll try moving it to face the fans some and have it on a low set i'm gonna be ordering the dc xl today love that plant

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!