FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By tilelayer
The place i buy my traps from their website says to add white vinegar to the distilled water. I must say they have the healthiest looking traps out of all the traps i buy, they grow them in NC. anyone familar with this?

Thanks
By Matt
Vinegar would simply lower the pH of the water. Flytraps do best if the pH is between 4.5 and 6. I use vinegar for lowering the pH of tissue culture media. I've also used pH Down (which is a type of acid) in water to lower it for plants in soil.
By tilelayer
If one were to add vinegar to their water how do you know how many parts vinegar to water you need?
By Feline56565
Try a pH meter, best/most accurate method. OR look up pH chemistry problems on Youtube. Using specific ml of water and ml of vinegar oil, then you can use those concentrations to find the pH level.
By Matt
Yeah, you'll need a pH meter to do it right. Most of the time, tap water has a pH of around 7, but without any way to measure, it's impossible to know what sort of minerals might be in tap water in any given region that would affect how much acid (vinegar) would be needed to adjust the pH to the desired level.
By tilelayer
i have a meter, i measured the soil every plant i have comes in a 7 on came in at 6.7. The meter is digital. i added some vinegar to my water and watered the plants. wondering what will happen. I do use ro water on my plants btw
By Mpdambra
Interestingly enough I accidently spilled some vinnegar directly into my akai ryu when I was cleaning some mineral deposits off of a fishtank. I noticed a day later a lot of dead leaves and many more still dying.
I decided to repot the plants and found that they had suffered quite a lot when looking at the rhizomes.
By Fishkeeper
Pure vinegar is very bad for plants because of the acidity. You can use it as a weed killer.

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!