FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
That is a species of grass that is growing right next to your flytrap. Best to get it out of the soil. Though at this point that is going to be very challenging. That particular species grows very elaborate root systems and is very hard to pull out once it gets large.

You might just have to repot and separate the grass from the plant at that time.
By xr280xr
Matt wrote:That is a species of grass that is growing right next to your flytrap. Best to get it out of the soil. Though at this point that is going to be very challenging. That particular species grows very elaborate root systems and is very hard to pull out once it gets large.

You might just have to repot and separate the grass from the plant at that time.
I would do so soon. It might be close to choking out your flytrap, being so close to it.
By coorkie
MichaelGuardian wrote:
coorkie wrote:So... My King Henrys haven't produced buds nor flowers (which I wouldnt mind if they did tbh), just stalks... They've been in dormancy (I live in Northern California) and have grown these stalks while dormant.. Will these stalks sprout buds at the ends (Id love to have seeds of these babies) or should I just cut them?

The actual traps have sprouted because of the recent weather (they've been getting lots and lots of rain water what w/ the crazy recent rain storms/floods up here) until I finally decided to move them inside a week or so ago.
That is pretty weird, it looks like someone cut off the ends of the flower stalk. Are you sure that it is in fact a vft?
Well, I did catch my cat chewing on the end of one of the stalks/whatever they are so if they are flower talks they may not have blossomed because of my curious cat! But I doubt she'd work on chewing every end off of whatever the heck sprouted... *scratches head*

& Idk that it may be grass or not *shrug*, this is my first VFT but seems to me by your guys reactions that this is just as odd as I imagined! The fact that a random bunch (for lack of better word) of grass would decide to grow smack dab in the middle of my plant. not a cm to the left or the right... Hmmm
By coorkie
Matt wrote:That is a species of grass that is growing right next to your flytrap. Best to get it out of the soil. Though at this point that is going to be very challenging. That particular species grows very elaborate root systems and is very hard to pull out once it gets large.

I will try to examine the roots and if separation must ensue... I will try my hardest not to damage my baby vft sprouts! might come back w/ root findings along w pictures!

thanks so much for your help guys
By Gry
I experimented with this. Cutting off a flytrap's flowerstalk is like giving a deepsea diver a canister of oxygen.
Not cutting the flowerstalk is like choking it, unless you feed it a lot more (which compares to giving the diver short breaths of air)

If you want seeds you should definately feed it once a week and give it a LOT of sunlight. make sure two of it's traps are always digesting something, and leave the others.
By Orit
1 week in for me. The whole thing has not shriveled up (yet?) so I am hopeful.

Edit - not sure why picture posted sideways or how to fix. Picture is upright on my phone.
Attachments:
20170216_172122.jpg
20170216_172122.jpg (402.16 KiB) Viewed 13215 times
By Orit
Bhart90 wrote:The black most definitely. What are it's parameters?

Where at outside? Grow lights?
Is this post for me?

Sorry, have read up tons but I'm still a noob. Not sure what you mean by parameters? It's growing in a sunny windowsill with a bag for humidity completely open at the top (still gets below freezing outside and current humidity is 13%). It was 2.5 inches when I cut it. I used the first post as a bible - extraordinarily helpful information here!
By Bhart90
What state?
I mean if it winter outside, or still freezing, should be I dormancy, you can grow them indoors, just have to have a puck for lighting.

In nature, they get full sun, any more pics?

And sorry, I was referring to the attributes hahw
By Orit
I'm in Colorado. The past few nights have not gotten below 30 but the weather is unpredictable and swings wildly. The plant it came from was dormant but not kept cool enough, and it may have also flowered because I accidentally almost killed it a few weeks before. My pictures of it now are more of the same, but here it is when I cut it.
Attachments:
Screenshot_2017-02-16-23-01-00.png
Screenshot_2017-02-16-23-01-00.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 13194 times
By Orit
The whole stalk is turning black a week and a half in. I was really disappointed when I saw black creeping up from the bottom a few days ago instead of just from the top, but I think cutting the flower stalk was the right decision regardless, so nothing is lost.

Game over or is it still worth keeping it humid and damp? I'm afraid the whole thing will be shriveled up in days. :(
By Orit
After planting about 15 stalks, I have 3 that are showing promise (I think mold was my biggest issue). Except maroon monster's stalk was so dark and dried out looking, I pulled it out of the moss only to discover some seedlings coming off it! Immediately put it back in. I didn't see any roots, the plantlets were teeny, and I really hope I didn't just kill them all! :o Is there a chance they'll survive?

Jaws and Dentate's stalks are still green at the base after 8 weeks and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Think I planted all of them too deep but it's far too late to adjust them now.
By Orit
I am the proud owner of Maroon Monster babies!!! Thank you, everyone, especially xr280xr, for the very detailed guide - I owe my success to you! Spotted the cotyledons about a week ago and was concerned I wasn't getting carnivorous leaves. It wasn't until I got the good camera focused on it that I saw what appeared to be sphagnum moss was really the first the first true leaves. Surprised me they are red right off the bat. I am so thrilled! :D :D :D

Thank you again, Matt and Leah, for a "starter" plant that produced two flower stalks a month after I got it!
Attachments:
MM Babies.jpg
MM Babies.jpg (294.98 KiB) Viewed 12655 times
Last edited by Orit on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!