FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By terrip
I planted my flytraps in Styrofoam cups (the large ones). Can I keep them in the cups indefinitely. I put drainage holes in the bottom. Thanks
terrip
By Smooter80
Outdoors they will probably degrade in a few years, about the time you'll need to change the media anyways. I use them quite a lot.
By Nick
As long as you don't mind the aesthetics, Styrofoam cups do a great job as VFT planters. They allow for good root depth without wasting a lot of lateral space and insulate the roots from extreme temperatures.
By Big-Jack
I use foam cups exclusively right now (next season though I want to set up some group pots for my many divisions). They are tippy though so you want to give them some support from strong winds and critters. A coat of plastic primer will protect the foam from UV degradation.
By riveraXVX
currently growing in those, once we have more plants we are switching to some 8x8x6x or so square white plastic pots we grabbed after talking with another member here (Leo756) about his beautiful setup/plants.

I found the same style/size pots at a local hydroponic store here for about $1.50 each
By terrip
Thank you. I feel alot better about the cups now
terrip liked this
By houseplantfan
I am new to growing VFT and wanted a pretty pot, but I had read about using styrofoam as a good potting choice. So, I cut open a few styrofoam cups and lined my nicer looking pot with them. I cut the bottoms off to allow for plenty of drainage.
By tommyr
It's fine, almost ALL of mine are in them. You will need to re-pot every year or two though.
By bluestatic
I grow most of mine in styrofoam containers. I like the height (though many of my roots are so long they bundle up in the bottom). The white color works great since I keep mine in full sun all day. Also they are very cheap. I use a "garden" permanent marker to write on the cups. I tried a sharpie as a test to see if the garden marker was just a selling tactic for a higher price - but they are for real! The sharpie only lasted a few months but the garden marker lasts the life of the cups (couple years).
IMG_1857.JPG
IMG_1857.JPG (350.37 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
bluestatic, bluestatic liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!