FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By wvm
hi, i was wondering if it is OK to put a vft in the refrigerator while in dormancy or if that could just kill it because i don't have any better place to put it.i cant put it outside because it gets down in the 20s in winter(Fahrenheit) and that i think would most likely kill a fly trap. thanks
By watnazn
wvm wrote:hi, i was wondering if it is OK to put a vft in the refrigerator while in dormancy or if that could just kill it because i don't have any better place to put it.i cant put it outside because it gets down in the 20s in winter(Fahrenheit) and that i think would most likely kill a fly trap. thanks
Many people put them in the fridge for dormancy. Check out the dormancy section here theres lots of info. 20 F is too cold you might have to put mulch on top, or leave it on the windowsill inside would be my recommendation.
By dionaea muscipula
wvm wrote:hi, i was wondering if it is OK to put a vft in the refrigerator while in dormancy or if that could just kill it because i don't have any better place to put it.i cant put it outside because it gets down in the 20s in winter(Fahrenheit) and that i think would most likely kill a fly trap. thanks
Hi wvm and welcome to the flytrapcare family first you should start your own post instead of getting someone else' s thread, but to answer your question fridge dormancy is the last thing i would do it is better to leave it in in a window still that is pretty warm... well hope this helps i bet someone else will give you a better answer (i am no expert in dormancy) :P

Omar,

damm watnazn was too fast oh well to lazy 2day to delete
By Matt
Hello wvm and welcome to flytrapcare!

watnazn already gave you pretty good advice. I too would recommend a cool windowsill over the fridge. An unheated porch or garage will work well too if it gets good light. The fridge should be a last resort because the plant will be in complete darkness with no air movement and at a constant temperature of around 40°F, which isn't natural and basically puts the plant in a state of suspended animation. It does work, but it's far from ideal.

Oh, and I went ahead an moved this post into your own thread instead of building on someone else's thread.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!