FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By branpera
I just got a new sarr plant that was in the store would it be ok to bring it outside right away, do you treat them the same as VFTs when they are going through dormancy? Not to damp soil and all that other stuff. Also is there a temperature that is two low for sarr's to survie?
By Matt
Yeah, I'd just put it outside right away. It still has a few weeks to get into dormancy mode, which should be enough. And yes, their care requirements are basically identical to VFTs. Don't keep them too wet during dormancy.

As far as too cold of temperatures, I think that most Sarracenia are actually hardier in cold temperatures than VFTs are. In general, if you can keep them from freezing, that's best, but they'll also take freezes pretty well, especially if they're larger plants with a good sized rhizome.
By branpera
Some where I read that you should pull out their best pitchers before dormancy. Should I do that now and how would I exactly "pull out" the best pitchers if I am suposed to. Would'nt you just pull out the whole plant.
By Matt
branpera wrote:Some where I read that you should pull out their best pitchers before dormancy.
I think you might have misread that. There are some species of Sarracenia (luecophylla and all of its hybrids) that PUT OUT (not pull) their best pitchers just before dormancy. Be sure not to pull out any pitchers that are still green.
By branpera
O good thing you cleared that up for me I tought it said pull, oops.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!