FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By damienhipwell
hi there, can anyone help me with some info on why my plat's leaves are turning black and dieing?
it seems to happen all of a sudden. Also, is havng them near a window a problem?
By Crispy
HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, still too new to carnivorous plants to give you an answer. Just wanted to say hi.
Crispy liked this
By Aging_Bourbon
Hello damienhipwell welcome to the forum well, your flytraps leave are turning black because of two reasons 1. its going dormant 2. its getting use to the new enviorment

Allen,
By italo.americano
damienhipwell,

Welcome to flytrapcare!

Before I can answer your question, I need to know a little bit about your growing conditions.

Where is your growing location and what type of media is your vft planted in? Also, what type of water are you using?

Giovanni
By damienhipwell
hi there,the plant is in a store bought container and appears to be planted in peat moss. It is in a small pot with a container underneat which catches all the water ad keeps it continaully moist. it has a resiviour underneath to hold the water. It is position near a window and gets the afternoon direct sun, but otherwise gets light all day. it's currently summer here and can get quite hot, it was 42C 2 days ago. Idon't know if this is too hot or if being near a glass window is the problem? maybe it needs mre direct sunlight?
By Matt
Hello and welcome to the forum Damien!

How long have you had the plant now and how long ago did you notice the plant start turning black? Can you take some photos a post them here in the forum or on the community portion of the site (whichever is easier for you)?

If you really want to grow your plant indoors, I'd try to find an east facing window so that the plant gets direct light during the early part of the day.

Venus Fly Traps are usually healthiest when grown outdoors in a very sunny spot. Since it gets so hot where you live, you might be wise protecting them from the sun during the hottest part of the day, but it should get at least 4 hours of direct sunlight a day.
By italo.americano
damienhipwell,

To expand on what Matt said you may want to leave your plant outside during the morning hours and in the afternoon, during the hottest part of the day, place it inside on an east facing window.

Also, what type of water are you using? You want to make sure to only use rain water or distiled water for your plant.

Posting some photos would also be a great help in diagnosing your problem.

Please don't worry as we will make sure your plant does not die.

Giovanni
By damienhipwell
awesome, thanks for the help. I'm pressed for time right now but will get a photo on here in the next day or so. I am using filtered water. I have 2 pitcher plans, one eats flys, the other wasps, and a dew plant in the same location and they seem to do very well. Whether this has an relevance I don't know?
Damien.
By italo.americano
Damien,

Filtered water could be a problem as sometimes the filters do not catch minerals like calcium and salt. Pitcher plants can take some minerals but Dionaea cannot.
I would strongly recommend using rain water or distiled water when watering your plants. Also, since your filtered water may have deposited minerals into your growing medium, water from above until water drains out of the drainage holes. This will help to flush out any minerals in your soil.
Once your plants start to recover, transplant them into a new growing medium of peat moss and perlite.

I hope this helps!

Giovanni
By Matt
Damien, Giovanni's right. Your problem is likely due to impure water. Water purifiers don't cut it. You need distilled water or rain water. You should replant and start using clean water. My guess is that your plant will recover quite quickly if you do.
By Aging_Bourbon
damienhipwell wrote:awesome, thanks for the help. I'm pressed for time right now but will get a photo on here in the next day or so. I am using filtered water. I have 2 pitcher plans, one eats flys, the other wasps, and a dew plant in the same location and they seem to do very well. Whether this has an relevance I don't know?
Damien.

Well Damien, mostly all Carnivorous plant's roots are sensitive to impure water. Nepenthes (Asian Pitcher plants) can tolerate "hard water" only for a short period.. but Sarraceina (North American Pitchers) are like Venus Flytrap they don't like hard water an Drosera "sundew" are the same so i would advise you to use rain or distilled water for all your plant's to be healthy.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!