FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By jab91
Hello everyone,

So I have a typical ceph in bloom and I wanted to give it a shot at pollinating it.

I've never pollinated a ceph before but I've been googling and reading a bunch of the icps articles/tutorials. If anyone has some information or first hand experience, I would greatly appreciate it AND more importantly, if anyone has some spare pollen, that would be key ;)

Will do 50/50 on seeds, pm me plz
By Branmuffin
I'm fairly certain they are able to be self pollinated. I just pollinated my first Ceph this year, very tiny flowers, hopefully they take.
By jab91
See, I thought that too but other growers were saying they couldn't.

Hopefully you get some seed out of your pollination! How can you tell if the pollination was successful?

I guess I could self pollinate as a last resort but would be best to have pollen from a different ceph to try to avoid inbreeding.
By edman007
The flowers on mine opened today, Google says self pollinating works so mine is outside to let the bees do it. If yours still has not opened I can send pollen tomorrow. If it opened already I'm guessing I can't get you pollen soon enough to matter.

As for telling if it's successful, it should be obvious, the flower will die off and you should see a green seed pod growing. If it doesn't take the seed pod will likely not develop. With my flytraps it's obvious, the bud turns black within a week of the petals falling off if it wasn't pollinated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By corky
You will get a much better seed set if you use a small paint brush and go from flower to flower every couple of days , I have grown some great looking cephs from selfed plants , good luck
By jab91
@edman007- my flowers opened yesterday. I've been going flower to flower with a q-tip I've made into a make shift brush. I think I'm going to go the self route this time. I appreciate the offer though!

@corky- that's good to hear. Hopefully I get some seed.

Additionally, if anyone wants pollen, I have some to spare.

Thanks for your replies!

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

rotted S. purpurea rhizome??

www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk Wow. I wish we […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!