FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By iowatraps
Hello,

I'm looking to grow some VFTs in Mike King's peat free mix:

Milled Pine bark
Cornish Grit
Perlite

I plan on buying the mini pine bark nugget bags, and grinding it for the milled pine bark, but I need help finding something similar to the Cornish grit here in the United States. According to the website it is silver granite. Anyone know of a source for a substance like Cornish grit in the US, or a substitute? Perhaps larger silica sand (#12 grit) may work??

Thanks in advance,
Jason
By iowatraps
Hungry Plants wrote:perlite you can get from Agway or larger bags from a hydroponics shop. Do not use miracle grow. I just got a bag from Agway for $7 the brand id Espama.
Thanks. I see Home Depot occasionally sells crushed granite.
By roarke
iowatraps wrote:
Hungry Plants wrote:perlite you can get from Agway or larger bags from a hydroponics shop. Do not use miracle grow. I just got a bag from Agway for $7 the brand id Espama.
Thanks. I see Home Depot occasionally sells crushed granite.
I would stay away of the pine bark, as it will degrade and bring mold in the substrate.
By Branmuffin
You will have a hell of a hard time finding silica sand larger than #40 in the states. Silica sand use to be used for sand blasting until they figured out it is extremly hazardous and has been essentially removed from the market. There are some specialty stores around that sell it, but nothing where I live. Any sandblasting supply shops will run you off faster than you can image at the first mention of the words Silica.
Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!