FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Randall
Got a question for the experienced growers here. Is it possible or common for a Venus flytrap "typical" to still not be growing this late into the growing season? I cut a flower stalk off about two weeks or at the latest three and it still is not growing fast. It put a leaf out today that started showing yesterday, but it is not a true trap leaf. I divided the plant from two others at the beginning of this growing season and they are growing fairly well? I am posting a picture​ below for a visual of the plant.
Attachments:
The plant in question
The plant in question
IMG_20170603_162251.jpg (815.84 KiB) Viewed 3044 times
By Fishkeeper
That is not a happy plant.

What's it potted in?
How fresh is the media?
What do you water with?
How often?
Is it in the same conditions as the others?
Is anything even slightly different from how the others are potted?
How large was the rhizome when you divided it off?
Fishkeeper liked this
By Randall
It is in a chick fil a styrofoam cup the media was reused and put in with newer media to fill the rest of the cup. The thing grew a flower stalk, but if I remember correctly the rhizome was about as big not as big as a dime. It has been with me for two years now. It sits in a water tray and I top water when needed. Same conditions as the others on the back porch. It may be just slightly deeper then the others. Did I miss any info? Also thanks for your reply! I am thinking maybe I need to repot with all new medium and go from there, but am scared any more setbacks may kill the little guy.
By Randall
Okay the media question seemed like an obvious start. I re-potted the little dude and the rhizome looked nice and yellow. It was firm and not mushy at all, it was about the diameter of a sharpie or just a little bigger. The roots where about 1.5 or 2 inches long. I will take a picture in the morning to show it now. Thanks for your help so far fishkeeper!
By riveraXVX
disclaimer: not an expert -- it looks like the medium if you do repot it could be a lil higher up in the cup (it seems really low in there from the photo) and although it may be freshly watered the medium looks really wet, where are you located/what kinda temperatures are you looking at right now?
riveraXVX liked this
By Randall
Yes it was quite far down in the cup. I had just watered it hours before the picture, however the medium even when dry was that black looking. I water it using distilled water and I am located in Richmond Virginia, temps this week where in the 80's.
By Randall
The first picture had them, they just look dead because of it being in a bad angle and low light. I see your point though it does look weird from the first picture. I also pulled away the dead traps, I left a few because they were still firmly attached. Anyway​s, I will keep you guys posted; how long should I wait to see improvement?
By Earthy
if you're traying the plant, then there's really no need to top-water as well unless you are flushing out the pot. that might be too wet for the plant. now I mainly top-water mine but tray them on hot sunny days, and then leave the plants alone water-wise until they need it again.
By riveraXVX
assuming its getting good / proper sunlight the medium and watering conditions are satisfactory hopefully it will spring back to life it seems from my brief time with them any of those few conditions being off can set plants back majorly for a time but over time with the proper conditions being met they bounce back nicely assuming the rhizome is healthy and roots look ok! as for how long - I'm a rookie/no idea - repotting seems to sometimes shock them a little also - I'm trying to get ours max daylight I can currently after messing up my watering plans last month - one month in and I can see a strong difference between the ones that were potted properly and the few I didn't/had issues with
By Randall
So just to update everyone who helped or may be reading this in the future, my plant seems to be really liking the new soil! Thanks for everyone's input and help. I will post one last picture when it has resumed more normal growth.
Attachments:
One week later
One week later
IMG_20170611_190844.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 2809 times
By riveraXVX
awesome, glad to hear yours is bounding back!! I just cleaned away some dead materials on two plants I am worried about that I setback majorly last month by accident and have similar new budding growth coming up now its a relief to see!!

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!