FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Aozora
have been wondering about this for a while now, i used to keep my smaller nepenthes alata and hookeriana in a south faced window (6-8 hours direct sunlight), and it was producing pitchers at a decent rate and they were quite big. but as the days were slowly getting longer and the temperatures were getting higher, i decided to remove them from my windowsill and hang them on the ceiling just above the window (no more direct sunlight) as i was alwasy told that nepenthes like bright light but no direct light.

it has been a couple of weeks (months?) since i moved them away and they havent made a single pitcher, only the tiny buds that will become pitchers but they just wont develop. but it is making even more bigger and bigger leaves.

so what does one mean with bright light but no direct sunlight? direct sunlight in my windowsill is around 55,000lux while an inch or so to the side of my windowsill it drops to around 2,000 lux.
By nimbulan
Most Nepenthes will like at least some direct sun during the day. Some prefer full shade but not many. Like many things in the CP world, the low light tolerance of Nepenthes is exaggerated.
nimbulan, nimbulan liked this
By Lee KZN
Ahh. Thanks that's great to know. The position of my neps means they will get about 3 - 4 hours of direct morning sun but I always moved them away in the morning as I was told they like bright light not direct light.

Pitchers have not been developing but leaves getting big and bright green.

Going leave them now in the Sun and see how it goes...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
Just make sure you don't adjust the plants too quickly. Light is very important for pitcher development but it's still possible to burn the plants by a sudden increase in light intensity.

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!