FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By ATXflytraps
I came home today to see my typical caught this huge spider/daddy long-leg looking thing all on it's own haha. From the tip of one leg to another leg is about 8 or 9 inches. Even more impressive it was on a 3rd story apartment balcony.

By avadakedavra
ATXflytraps wrote:I came home today to see my typical caught this huge spider/daddy long-leg looking thing all on it's own haha. From the tip of one leg to another leg is about 8 or 9 inches. Even more impressive it was on a 3rd story apartment balcony.

I guess it is a kind of 'Daddy Longlegs' Opiliones.
It is not a spider though it has 8 legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
That looks like probably what's referred to as a harvestman- it looks like a little round ball with really long legs. Not technically a spider, in fact they'll eat spiders.

They're the ones that supposedly have "the most venomous bite in the world but fangs too small to use it", but that's just a silly myth. They have very small fangs and very weak venom, as they mostly eat dead things with the occasional mini spider or gnat thrown in. Harmless to humans, just creepy.
By Branmuffin
Fishkeeper wrote:That looks like probably what's referred to as a harvestman- it looks like a little round ball with really long legs. Not technically a spider, in fact they'll eat spiders.

They're the ones that supposedly have "the most venomous bite in the world but fangs too small to use it", but that's just a silly myth. They have very small fangs and very weak venom, as they mostly eat dead things with the occasional mini spider or gnat thrown in. Harmless to humans, just creepy.

We call those Daddy Long Legs, funny how every region has a different nickname for things.
By ATXflytraps
Branmuffin wrote:
Fishkeeper wrote:That looks like probably what's referred to as a harvestman- it looks like a little round ball with really long legs. Not technically a spider, in fact they'll eat spiders.

We call those Daddy Long Legs, funny how every region has a different nickname for things.
Yea we call them daddy long legs here too I've just never seen a black and white one. They're always brown.

ncbetz wrote:Haha wow! I bet that will take a while. I gave mine a fly and its still not done (3 days later).
Usually takes about 7-10 days for them to process the insect's juices and then open back up leaving just the exoskeleton. I've never seen one eat something this big though so who knows what'll happen haha.
By avadakedavra
Branmuffin wrote:

In Japanese their name is 'zatoumushi '.
Zatou is old Japanese class or job who were blind and walk with cane. they were masseurs or play music. Mushi means bug.

Funny name actually !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Fishkeeper
House 'centipedes', which aren't actually centipedes, have a ton more legs and a much longer body. The thing caught in the photo looks like a round ball with legs, like a cartoon spider.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!