FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
(Yeah, the quoting is crazy.... someone messed it up ha)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By deleted user
tannerm wrote:
rulen24 wrote:
tannerm wrote:
I've recently bought some new live sphagnum and just put it in a bucket, keeping it moist. My greenhouse stays above 60% in day and over 80% at night, inside the propagator it will be over that.
Wait do you not have good airflow. I have 3 fans running in my grow environment and one intake... proper airflow is very important

I've never worried about air flow tbh, I'm sure humidity is much more important as I've never installed any fan, just opening the greenhouse a few times a day seems to be enough for my plants.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
By tannerm
I find it very important to maintaining plant and moss health

By deleted user
tannerm wrote:I find it very important to maintaining plant and moss health

I've never had problems with not much airflow, I guess the air moves a bit in there from the plastic cover of the greenhouse moving

By deleted user
Benurmanii wrote:Airflow isn't necessary for a lot of the common CPs one can find for sale in the US, however, I have noticed that live sphag does indeed get stringy if airflow is low.
All mine don't seem to mind no airflow, however I'm from the UK. I haven't grown sphagnum before so I'll try to hook a fan up to a solar panel as I can't get electricity up to the garden.

By tannerm
rulen24 wrote:
Benurmanii wrote:Airflow isn't necessary for a lot of the common CPs one can find for sale in the US, however, I have noticed that live sphag does indeed get stringy if airflow is low.
All mine don't seem to mind no airflow, however I'm from the UK. I haven't grown sphagnum before so I'll try to hook a fan up to a solar panel as I can't get electricity up to the garden.

It's a tad different (actually a lot) when you're growing in an enclosed environment.

By Benurmanii
rulen24 wrote:

I've noticed a significant difference in sphagnum that is grown in my open-air grow areas, outdoors, and in my terrarium with some air circulation with outside air. The outdoor sphagnum is MUCH more thick an lush than the rest, with open air grown sphagnum a close second.

Like I said, a lot of carnivorous plants won't have issues with low airflow, which is likely why you have not found any issues.
By deleted user
Benurmanii wrote:Higher light also helps to thicken the sphagnum.
They will get the same amount of light as my plants.

By deleted user
Got a fan and hooked it up to a solar panel for aeration. ImageImage

By deleted user
Quick question: Does sphagnum need to be watered with low ppm, or can it be 290+ like tap water?
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!