FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
Hello,

Would it not be recommended for a "new" cp owner to grow from seed? I have been growing some VFT, sarracenia, and drosera for a couple months now. I would like to grow some tropical Drosera from seed. I am up for the challenge, but would like to know if it requires a bit more experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Wikiwakawakawee
I think you should be fine yo, even if you don't succeed on your first try, you'll know what to do next time you give it a tryImage I'd start off with some easy species like drosera capensis (I'm actually growing my first ones right now!)

It's pretty neat seeing them grow from a tiny spec to the wonderful plants they are.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
By erikHIplants
Tropical drosera can be relatively easy to grow from seed. I would recommend capensis, spatulata, burmanii (probably my favorite) to grow from seed. My first ever experience with cps was germinating spatulata from seed. Just my two cents
By Shadowtski
Frothy_Milk wrote:Hello,

Would it not be recommended for a "new" cp owner to grow from seed? I have been growing some VFT, sarracenia, and drosera for a couple months now. I would like to grow some tropical Drosera from seed. I am up for the challenge, but would like to know if it requires a bit more experience.

If you want seed, get it from the FTC Seedbank. There's no charge.

The FlyTrap Care Community Seedbank is a project that allows Forum members to get CP seed for the price of two postage stamps. You request a species of seed. You send in an SASE. You get seed back in the return envelope.It is run by volunteers. The seed comes from members donations. It's run on a "Pay It Forward" principle. Today you receive seed from the seedbank; someday when you have extra, you donate some of that excess seed to the seedbank for other people to request.

Click on the seedbank link in my signature for more information.

Good growing,
Mike
By Frothy_Milk
Shadowtski wrote:
Frothy_Milk wrote:Hello,

If you want seed, get it from the FTC Seedbank. There's no charge.

The FlyTrap Care Community Seedbank is a project that allows Forum members to get CP seed for the price of two postage stamps. You request a species of seed. You send in an SASE. You get seed back in the return envelope.It is run by volunteers. The seed comes from members donations. It's run on a "Pay It Forward" principle. Today you receive seed from the seedbank; someday when you have extra, you donate some of that excess seed to the seedbank for other people to request.

Click on the seedbank link in my signature for more information.

Good growing,
Mike
What is an SASE?

By Wikiwakawakawee
I think it explains it on the FTC seedbank

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
TLDR version:
SASE (Self - Addressed - Stamped - Envelope)

Get two envelopes. Put a stamp on each of them.
Address one to yourself. Put it inside the other.
Address the outer envelope to me. Mail it.

When it arrives at my house, I open it, put the seeds in the inner envelope, and mail that one back to you.

Good growing,
Mike
By nimbulan
Growing subtropical sundews from seed is generally easy, but it's a slow process and you need to make sure your soil is very clean so the tiny seedlings don't get smothered by algae, cyanobacteria, or other junk growing on the surface. The seedlings won't be nearly as resilient as mature plants either to missed waterings or other mistakes.

If you think you can take care of those problems, go for it. Soon enough, you'll have more plants than you know what to do with.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!