FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By twigs
I am putting together a terrarium for Heliamphora and a few highland Nepenthes. The tank itself will just be a normal rectangle 10 gallon fish tank. I am going through my head with a few different lighting situations and wanted some input.

Option 1) Put the tank on my current grow rack with 4x 32 watt T8 bulbs. (Least desireable due to lack of space on grow rack, but easiest option)

Option 2) Build a cover for the tank with 4x compact flourescent bulbs. I'll get the highest wattage I can find.

Option 3) Build a cover for the tank and put 2 T5 strip lights in it (1 bulb each).

For the last 2, I would put some PC fans providing airflow between the bulbs and top of the tank in order to cool the bulbs.

My main objectives : 1) High intensity light, 2) Cool temps. I won't have a cooling system for the tank, so temps are already going to be on the high side for these plants. I do not want the lighting raising the temperature in the tank.
By Veronis
T5's put out a bit of heat, but nothing like CFL's as I recall. If you go with your CFL option in a little 10-gallon tank, even with PC fans you're probably going to have temp issues and your heli will hate your guts. ;)

I'd put it under the T8's just to test out temps and humidity (so you have something to compare with), then put together your T5 lid. Make it 3 bulbs if you possibly can but two T5's at around 1300 lumens each, high-intensity light, will probably be fine.

If you can control the temp, though, the CFL's would be a better option for light intensity (4 CFL's vs. 2 T5's assumed here).

Something like these should do nicely for T5's: http://www.1000bulbs.com/F14T5-6500K/ (10 gallon tank is 2 feet, right? Not 3?)
By hackerberry
I would suggest the T5s but don't forget the fan. It will serve you 2 purposes. Cooling the light emmission and air circulation.

hb
By ReefPlant
Helis and Neps! Hurray!!! ;)
Veronis wrote:T5's put out a bit of heat, but nothing like CFL's as I recall. If you go with your CFL option in a little 10-gallon tank, even with PC fans you're probably going to have temp issues and your heli will hate your guts. ;)

I'd put it under the T8's just to test out temps and humidity (so you have something to compare with), then put together your T5 lid. Make it 3 bulbs if you possibly can but two T5's at around 1300 lumens each, high-intensity light, will probably be fine.

If you can control the temp, though, the CFL's would be a better option for light intensity (4 CFL's vs. 2 T5's assumed here).

Something like these should do nicely for T5's: http://www.1000bulbs.com/F14T5-6500K/ (10 gallon tank is 2 feet, right? Not 3?)
I definitely agree. The ballast being inside of the CFLs will give you trouble with heat. T5 would be ideal if bumped up a notch by using a third. You shouldn't have to but your pitchers color may be washed out a little (relative to temp too).
However, being that T8s are cheap and easy to wire (you can get 18" bulbs very easily, this should cover your 20" width)
I have though about running your basic ellectronic ballasts parallel together in order to increase the wattage/overall light output. Unless you feel comfortable with doing this i wouldn't bank on it. It does seem to be a nice option on a budgeted project.
Keep in mind that removing the ballast form the fixture and placing it elsewhere can also relieve some of the heat.
I like the CFL idea but the scale of your terrarium is going to make it a little bit harder. I have used various aquarium lights for just about every setup, guess thats why i lean towards using and tweaking them more to fit the specific requirements.
Hope this helps, happy growing!!!

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!